Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Still life - DOF problem

Re: Still life - DOF problem

Focus 1/3 to halfway in, tilt if it helps, and shoot stopped down with fingers crossed.
    Me, I’d focus stack with my medium format digital tech gear and be done with it.

I get this is a learning process, so consider this a valuable lesson on learning the limits of large format and why the evolution of photography has led us to the current digital processes. It’s all image making no matter how you get there.

Blurring out the background and bringing the focus on the flowers might make a more aesthetically appealing composition.

Best to you,
    Darr

for me now it’s more a learning process, I’m taking pictures sinds 1980 with 35mm and MF, I know perfect there limitations but with LF I have only done landscapes and architecture. So now I’m a bit out of my comfort zone.
    For the time being I can experiment a lot.

(Shrek)

Seems fairly straightforward to use an online DOF calculator for the exact numbers you need, and you'll have to use a tape measure and place a target where you figure out your focus has to be to get both the foreground and background in focus. Then remove the target, say a prayer, and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Seems fairly straightforward to use an online DOF calculator for the exact numbers you need, and you'll have to use a tape measure and place a target where you figure out your focus has to be to get both the foreground and background in focus. Then remove the target, say a prayer, and shoot.
    Or just get the pocket size Rodenstock depth of field/Scheimpflug calculator and follow the numbered steps. No measuring or targets needed for formats from 35mm to 810. No batteries either, just finger power.

Time, to post this again

I set this up in studio 2018, then tried a few lenses and formats to get it all in focus using DOF Master

As I lose notes, I think it is 8 feet from the upside down neg to the wood circle, My 8X10 camera was 6 feet from the closest object, the neg again.

I used a tiny flashlight to find corners and check focus. Spent a week setting it up.

The smoke machine was a failure, but kept it

Titled "2 minutes to Midnight" as in WWIII. Everything in image has meaning to me, more lately.

Scan of contact print 1 of 25 made.

2 min 360 2019-03-24-0001 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Or just get the pocket size Rodenstock depth of field/Scheimpflug calculator and follow the numbered steps. No measuring or targets needed for formats from 35mm to 810. No batteries either, just finger power.
    Can you explain in simple terms how the calculator allows you to focus at some calculated point between the flowers and the frame without placing a target to focus on? I'm intrigued, that would be a really useful skill.

Can you explain in simple terms how the calculator allows you to focus at some calculated point between the flowers and the frame without placing a target to focus on? I'm intrigued, that would be a really useful skill.
    You focus on the near point. Focus on the far point and it will tell you where to position the rear standard between the two as well as what f stop to use and how much tilt would be required.
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 23-Mar-2020 at 17:35. Reason: No longer on download site

(Shrek)

So if you have one of those fancy cameras with scales and degree indicators you can just dial it all in, whereas I have to adjust rubber bands and chewing gum to make those adjustments.

So if you have one of those fancy cameras with scales and degree indicators you can just dial it all in, whereas I have to adjust rubber bands and chewing gum to make those adjustments.
    Don’t need scales on the camera. You can use a small ruler and protractor to use a camera without scales. It will also tell you the magnification, and any required exposure compensation.

Using an online calculator you would also need the displacement on the focusing between near and far points.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Don’t need scales on the camera. You can use a small ruler and protractor to use a camera without scales. It will also tell you the magnification, and any required exposure compensation.

Using an online calculator you would also need the displacement on the focusing between near and far points.
    Here it is on B&H. It shows one side. The other side is also a calculator.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r.html/reviews