Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Paper dev help needed

Re: Mixing Paper dev help needed

Just re-read you question, mixing chemistry in powder form does require you to be a bit careful. In an ideal world you would have a clean air supply across your face, a powered clean air mask is one solution. But living in the real world, you could mix your chemistry in a very well ventilated place, or even mix it outside, providing there is no wind.

Wearing a face mask is probably one of the safer ways to mix powdered chemicals.

You may not have a set of scales, this would be required to measure your chemistry into different amounts. A cheap set of electronic scales should be alright, if you really get into mixing your own chemistry from bulk purchased chemicals, then by that time you would have an idea of what kind of scales you may find best. I myself have a triple beam set of scales, no batteries, no electronics, just weights. I've had my current scale set for maybe 30 years, they will see me out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_beam_balance

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck461 View Post
    Where do you folks get your Glycin? I'm wondering if there is a source besides the Formulary.

Thanks
    CW

Glycin is an orphan chemical with no other "industrial" photo production known beyond Photographer's Formulary, CAS number is 122-87-2 , it is also made in very expensive reagent grade by Merk / sigma aldrich: https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog...&focus=product

WoW! Guys! You are so helpfull! Thanks a lot! Sorry I didn't replied for a few days, I was mixing and testing At the moment I'm using room out of my home with a very strong ventilation. The air pressure is so strong, you have trouble to open the door. No, it's not chemistry lab unfortunately, but it feels much safer. Especially Benzotriazol has a very strong smell, I thought it may be poisonous at home.

My current results are not very satisfactory. I mixed three different fomulas and they all went out dark colored like Rodinal. Either water is too hot, or I hadn't patience to dissolve everything. Maybe something other is wrong. Today I will try to be more systematic and write you later.

I shook the bottle and now I will try to stir. Also today I will try Ansel Adams variant of Ansco 130, divided in two parts. Chances are that it will dissolve better while on a shelf.

While I'm already aware about Metol/Sodium Sulfite trick, it was new to me that Glycin may need some additional treatment. Could you please tell my why so? All the chemistry I've got in plastic bags and plastic cans. Far from hermetic. I don't currently have special glass bottle to keep all these 8 components... What do you advise?

I have some doubts about Potassium bromide which is in one big piece and it probably absorbed water. Also I found it started to darken here and there. Also need special treatment?

Anyway how long do you usually wait before something is dissolved?

> For the benzotriazole, I would just mix a 1% solution (1g in 100ml) and dissolve it completely (this may take a few days),

Wow! A few days?! I was so urgent to try, it didn't come to my mind! I will definitely try this trick. Does it make difference if I dissolve it with Sodium Sulfite (like in Adams formula) or alone (like in other recipe)?

--

Regards,
    Konstantin

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    Just re-read you question, mixing chemistry in powder form does require you to be a bit careful. In an ideal world you would have a clean air supply across your face, a powered clean air mask is one solution. But living in the real world, you could mix your chemistry in a very well ventilated place, or even mix it outside, providing there is no wind.

Mick.
    Thank you Mick, I'll keep it in mind. At this point I'm in a temporary situation and don't want to make it more expensive. If I found something that works approximately the same as ID MG, I will optimize the process. I would be happy just using Ilford Multigrade dev, but my current place of living means two things. Firstly domestic regulations (aka greed) make it harder and harder to order something from abroad. Secondly it needs about 3 weeks to get something (and you don't want to know the cost of delivery). And I'm expecting to print often, but not that much in regards of paper meters. These means I start using a working solution and soon it became dark just because waits for next session. My own stock supposedly will help.

Currently I've borrowed cheap Chinese scales from friend. Well, it says 0.1 precision. I have trouble to weight small amounts like 0.2 benzotriazol, but at least I can try the idea in general.

> mix it outside, providing there is no wind.

Not an option. Windy as hell. Also ... wait, I have a photo... Here! Snow in May! https://www.flickr.com/photos/crypt4...posted-public/

Quote Originally Posted by crypt View Post

> For the benzotriazole,

does it make difference if I dissolve it with Sodium Sulfite (like in Adams formula) or alone (like in other recipe)?
    It dissolves better in mild alkali, if you add it in the order stated in the formula then the soup is alkaline by then.

For darkroom mixing you may find suitable having a 0.001gr scale, this is $15, and a Weight calibration set, $10.

Checking scale calibration is very good practice, some dirt particle may obstruct the platform movement of the 0.001gr scale, or other issues may happen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	714ra35y9KL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	202010

Me, I use two scales, a larger one and a 0.001grs precision one. A 0.01gr scale may introduce a 10% error in a 0.2g dose. Of course you may also dilute chem in a liquid for an easier dosing, but many times a precision (cheap) scale is the most convenient.

Try to handle powders with care an use a face mask (covid-19 type ), safety first. Read some general darkroom safety literature, no hazard if following rules with some common sense.

What I see at this point, Metol is oxidizing very fast and makes the solution purple. A 'pinch' of sodium sulfite seems to be not enough. I've added a bit more - better, but gradually darkens anyway. After adding full portion of Sodium Sulfite it continues to darken... Confused... I'm using so called distilled water for cars and have the last liter. What should I do?

Metol does not oxidize that fast in water, not even without any sulfite present. Are you sure it's distilled water and not battery acid you're using?

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Metol does not oxidize that fast in water, not even without any sulfite present. Are you sure it's distilled water and not battery acid you're using?
    Well, I don't know what to think! It was sold as CAS rn 55-55-0 and the title says Metol 99%. Maybe it have to be 99.8%? The water is marked as distilled and solution is totally dark. Will now try water from tap just to check.

Used 4.5 g of sodium sulfite. Then this 'Metol'. It dissolves very easily. Maybe it's not metol at all.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Will the seller, though without much hope. What about Potassium bromide? The seller tells it becomes darker on sunlight. But I only opened the can when mixing. Does it really goes that fast? I've made a photo of Metol while it's not too dark Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m_ABC_0287.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	202017 Strange color, isn't it?

Yeah, that's very odd. I've never seen metol in solution go that color. It goes a pale straw yellow with time in a neutral to slightly acid solution, or brown in an alkaline solution.
    Your potassium bromide looks weird too; mine also has some discolorations, but that's because of minor contamination with developer compounds which oxidize and give a brown coloration to it. The potassium bromide itself should not change color. Hence, I suspect yours is quite severely contaminated with something that oxidizes.

I don't know what's going on there, to be honest. If you mix a small amount of developer this way (accepting that it turns weird colors), does it actually develop paper at all?