Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Paper dev help needed

Mixing Paper dev help needed

Dear forum members, first some background story. Due to continued increase of taxes for imported goods I decided to become autonomous and to start mixing Paper Developers at home. I've got the Darkroom Cookbook and chemicals (hydroquinone is still on it's way). Now I lack a technic to mix the chemistry. I either will do

a) will warm water at home, use respirator and mix chemicals one by one right in to the water,
    b) will go to some other place with good ventilation and mix everything in one portion, then bring it home and dilute.

The question is if it's possible to dilute everything at once? Our domestic seller often divide chemistry in two parts. I really want to know by what principle.

The recipe for start is

FORMULA #72 W130B

 Water at 125/52C, 750.0ml
     Metol,2.2g
     Sodium sulfite, anhydrous, 50.0g
     Hydroquinone, 11.0 g
     Sodium carbonate, monohydrate, 78.0g
     Benzotriazole, 0.2 g
     Glycin, 11.0g
     Water to make 1.0 liter

Any general advice how to make mixing in comfortable manner or where to read about it is welcome.

Re: Mixing Paper dev help needed

You have to dissolve products one by one in the formula order. Waite to product be completely dissolve before adding next one.

Quote Originally Posted by crypt View Post
    The question is if it's possible to dilute everything at once? Our domestic seller often divide chemistry in two parts. I really want to know by what principle.
    Yes, you can mix it all in one go, provided you use the developer up within a fairly short period of time and keep it stored in such a way that no oxygen can get to it (entirely full and well-capped glass bottles work OK).

As to your idea of mixing separate 'portion' (concentrates) and then compounding them at home: yes, that's also a possibility, but you have to keep an eye on solubility limits and the keeping properties of the different chemicals. It's really simpler to just mix it all together in the right order.

When dissolving metol, dissolve a small pinch of sulfite in the water first, then the metol, then the rest of the sulfite. It greatly helps if the water is warmed up when trying to dissolve it. From the chemicals you listed, metol is one of the more challenging ones to dissolve. The others are easier, with the exception of benzotriazole. For the benzotriazole, I would just mix a 1% solution (1g in 100ml) and dissolve it completely (this may take a few days), and then add the appropriate amount of this concentrate to your developer (i.e. for 0.2g, you can add 20ml of your 1% concentrate).

It's not all that complicated, just follow the instructions and it'll work OK. And good to hear that you're cautious. I have to admit I do not use a respirator, but that's not to suggest that you shouldn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by crypt View Post
    Any general advice how to make mixing in comfortable manner or where to read about it is welcome.
    Try to stir and not shaking (like dry martini, 007) to not mix air in, this may have a relative importance but better in the Bond's way.

If you are to mix often then a magnetic stirrer is quite convenient, in special when you mix chem that's difficult to disolve, now we have those devices new quite cheap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP32-20200323-131754.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	201934

As you are starting to mix, let me recommend you to compare 130 with this alternative in the same book: FORMULA #84 E-72 (Chris Patton) “Environmentally friendly” Dektol-type developer. You may adjust a warm vs cold tone by susbtituing Bromide vs Benzotriazole in the equivalent amounts, in the same way than Ansco 130 vs W130B.

I've mixed my own chemistry for many years, but just recently started using a magnetic stirrer; highly recommended! Regarding the 130 formula, I would advise ensuring fresh glycin. Good luck and have fun! Mixing your own formulas saves money and enables you to use developers no longer available commercially.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I've mixed my own chemistry for many years, but just recently started using a magnetic stirrer; highly recommended! Regarding the 130 formula, I would advise ensuring fresh glycin. Good luck and have fun! Mixing your own formulas saves money and enables you to use developers no longer available commercially.

I think it's best to keep your glycin tightly sealed and in the freezer. I have made EC-130 from raw chemicals for 3-4 years now, and have had no problems. It's great with either glossy or warm tone FB papers.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    I think it's best to keep your glycin tightly sealed and in the freezer. I have made EC-130 from raw chemicals for 3-4 years now, and have had no problems. It's great with either glossy or warm tone FB papers.
    Yep, that's what I do, too. I have some glycin that's, at least, 3 years old now (kept in freezer) and it's fine.

Where do you folks get your Glycin? I'm wondering if there is a source besides the Formulary.

Thanks
    CW

Crypt, possibly the best way to mix or stir photo chemistry, is to use a Patterson chemical mixer. I have used these for around 35 years, on my second one now, they are very good as the bottom is flat which enables you to crush solid lumps of chemicals. This mixer works perfectly in any photographic measuring graduate, or most plastic cooking jugs you can buy from a supermarket cooking accessories section.

https://www.patersonphotographic.com...hemical-mixer/

As for your second question about halving, I assume you mean mixing up 500ml instead of 1 litre. This is simple, you would measure Metol 1.1gm, Sodium Sulphite Anhydrous 25.0gm and so on, with the end result that you have 500ml of solution. With 500ml of solution you can mix this with 500ml of water to make up 1,000ml of working paper developer for your tray and at the end of the session you can discard the developer or keep it in tightly closed containers with no air. I use glass marbles to remove as much air as possible, this has worked for me for over 50 years.

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck461 View Post
    Where do you folks get your Glycin? I'm wondering if there is a source besides the Formulary.

Thanks
    CW
    I get mine from the Formulary, but I request fresh powder when ordering. Who knows how fresh it really is, but I've never had any problems with it.