Thread: DIY Lens Board for Zone VI, type II 5x7 enlarger

Jim Sidinger

DIY Lens Board for Zone VI, type II 5x7 enlarger

I recently moved to 5x7 after I got a Zone VI, Type II 5x7 enlarger (with the help of my friend Tom). But, it only came with 2 lens boards. Since I have negatives in 35mm, 6x7, 4x5 and, now 5x7; and the lenses I have for each format have different diameters, I felt I needed 2 more. After posting here for more, without avail, I decided to try to see if I could do a DIY build.

I don’t have a machine shop so was looking to do this with limited machine tools. This became possible when I found an outfit on eBay which was selling 5 1/4” circular aluminum disks of 1/16” thickness. Link:https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-0625-A...d/202063196902. They sell almost a perfect match to the original Zone VI lens boards I had. Just slightly thicker at 1/16".

With them, all I pretty much needed was a hand drill, a small (1/2” wide) flat file; and some emery cloth (sand paper for metal); and paint.

Process related to pictures:

1. Trace needed cut outs from the original to the blank.

2. Drill larger end of mounting screw cut out with 3/8” bit; smaller end of mounting screw cutout and holes for lens adjustment with 3/16” bit. Use small flat file to connect and shape large and small mounting screw cut out holes. (Note: duct tape visible held 2 disks together so I only had to drill once.)

3. Use a bi-metal hole saw (for aluminum) of the appropriate diameter for the lens. In the example case I used a 2” for the Schneider Componon-S 180 which allowed for its 50mm diameter.

4. Sand it smooth on both sides. Mount lens ring with small screws.

5. Paint w/ flat matte metal paint (the kind for aluminum patio furniture worked great).

Done!

(Now the confession: While the barrel of the lens fit through, the lens ring had a ridge of a slightly larger diameter than I had figured so another friend, Keith, volunteered to open the center hole out some without me having to buy another hole saw (2 1/8” would have done it). He also used his circular sander instead of manual sandpaper to burnish and smooth it out. But I COULD have done it myself. )
    Best, Jim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lensboard First step_reduced.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	201914 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIY Lensboard Step 2_reduced.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	201915 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIY Lensboard Step 3_reduced.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	201916Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIY Lensboard Step 4_reduced.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	201917

Jim Sidinger

Re: DIY Lens Board for Zone VI, type II 5x7 enlarger

Final product painted flat black next to original Zone VI board. Ready to mount lens and put on enlarger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIY Lensboard Step 5_reduced.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	201918

Re: DIY Lens Board for Zone VI, type II 5x7 enlarger

Very good!
    Tin Can