Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new backpack, Seek Outside Exposure 5000

Re: My new backpack, Seek Outside Exposure 5000

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    My coffee fueled early AM thinking . . .Could a similar outit be carried along with about any other "serious" hiking backpack, as a strap-on load? In use, ity would be tacked and strapped to the top of the backpack and removed for use . . .without unpacking the main bag. With thought given to exavctly what is in the photo bag, and exactly which photo bag is used, this could be a workable concvept IMHO>
    That's a neat idea--IIRC, there's a gent here on LFPF who does precisely that: I remember that he's out in Colorado, shoots a lot of tele, but sadly can't remember his screen name. (Perhaps I should pay more attention to those AARP missives that have started to flood my mailbox...) I think that approach would work best when you know you're going to be on-trail and/or traversing open country: Drew W.'s old school external frames haven't been bettered in terms of load carriage--it's always better to keep the load centered over your hips if possible. The problem I'd have in my AO would be load stability--since you've got a significant amount of weight above the pack stays, you'd probably have to reef-down on the top compression straps a bit more than you'd like.

At any rate, you can't cheat physics--the current, modern internal frames that basically hang the load over space have their own issues!

All my backing experience wass back in the early 1970s when the external frame concept was pioneered by Kelty and my intro was through Fletcher's "The Complete Walker". That's exactly how the thought poped into my head at 5 or 6 AM today.

Weight distribution? Think about putting the camera bag at the bottom where a sleeping bag might go and strap the lighter bag and pad to the top.

Now I am 69 and having joints replaced. Thinking of transitioning my outdoors kit to a TravelWide and five film holders in a messenger bag. Hope for an all-up weight of under 10 pounds. I'll use a monopod for a walking cane and pop the camera onto it to shoot. Slimming down that much, I might swap the little f/6.8 Schneider for the f/8 Nikkor (or not).
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Weight distribution? Think about putting the camera bag at the bottom where a sleeping bag might go and strap the lighter bag and pad to the top.
    I think the classic weight distribution for externals is light on top, light on bottom, with the dense stuff being placed in the center, closest to your spine--of course you'd want to do several dayhikes for "proof of concept." If you've an old external close at hand, though, you might already have a packbag with more organization than is available to us whippersnappers with the new-fangled internals--I'd just load it up with my lenses in at most neoprene wraps and see what I could get away with.

Any more it is about all I can do to walk around the block with a cane in oe hand and my wife's arm in the other.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Any more it is about all I can do to walk around the block with a cane in oe hand and my wife's arm in the other.
    Ha, been there, done that--not the worst fate for any of us! FWIW, I've got a brother up in The Woodlands, but haven't explored your part of the world very seriously other than a quick trip to Big Bend--still, being a day's drive from the Edwards Plateau and on to Guadalupe NP ought to give you your pick of LF opportunities.

Its possible, but could be cumbersome. Similar to the internal carry like Fstop.

Weight Distribution and backpacking:

It all comes down to what you want to do and what you have do do to get to do what you want. Most solutions are suboptimal copromises in any field of endeavor.

A science fiction story from the 1950s ("Glory Road" by Robert Heinlein I think) involved a multidimensional backpack that just kept unfolding with more stuff in it.

The Harry Potter books did something similar with what looked like a camping tent on the outside, but had a small apartment inside with conventional amenities .
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Weight Distribution and backpacking:

It all comes down to what you want to do and what you have do do to get to do what you want. Most solutions are suboptimal copromises in any field of endeavor.

A science fiction story from the 1950s ("Glory Road" by Robert Heinlein I think) involved a multidimensional backpack that just kept unfolding with more stuff in it.

The Harry Potter books did something similar with what looked like a camping tent on the outside, but had a small apartment inside with conventional amenities .
    That is what I need!

it looks really cool. I'm a big fan of backpacks and I have a large collection of them. I have backpacks for different occasions and especially I adore vintage backpacks or backpacks stylized as vintage. Maybe I'm a fool, but once I even bought an electric guitar case from Fender made in 1973. But as for tourist backpacks, I have the best waxed canvas backpack, it is also stylized as vintage. I believe that tourist backpacks must be made not of synthetics, but of leather and covered with wax to protect against rain.
    Last edited by Dirtymortainess; 5-Oct-2022 at 02:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    When I backpacked with 4x5, a number of years ago, I used a really great backpacking backpack, but it was horrible for photo use. It was a top-loader, and to get to the camera gear was so much work that I rarely took the gear out, as that involved a lot of unpacking/packing.
    Way back when I was backpacking, I used a (top loading) large Dana backpack. Camera equipment was carried in the middle of the pack so I only had to remove the top 1/4 to 1/3 of the contents to get to it. It was a minor pain to do, but I just got used to having to do it when I stopped to take a photograph. Of all the backpacks that I have ever owned and used the Dana was absolutely the most comfortable to carry on my back. I was 5' 8" and around 150 lbs. Never weighed the fully loaded backpack but had to be 60 pounds plus. Also once I had and used a Wild Things (ultra light) backpack, but it rode terribly on my back... As I remember it had a minimal support design to it, and just felt unbalanced after maybe the first mile of the hike.