Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new backpack, Seek Outside Exposure 5000

Re: My new backpack, Seek Outside Exposure 5000

Camera gear last I checked was about 20-25 lbs. With every, probably close to 50-60. That includes 100 Oz of water to start.

I'm walking a couple miles every night with it to get into shape for hiking once this crap is eradicated.

Folks, I too am in the Southwest, and re:
    I am in the SW so we don't usually have issues with condensation
    by Steven, I have experienced lots of condensation in August at 9,000 ft in NM. I think the best way to deal with condensation is to use a tent which gives you the room you need such that you don't produce a shower in the early morning by hitting the roof/sides.

Having used a panel-loading pack for my photo gear, and experiencing how easy it was to access everything, I note that S's solution is also a panel-loading pack.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

The 20 to 25 pounds of photo gear sounds right. That's what my 4x5 Zone VI kit weighs. But I carry it in an old LowePro "Magnum 35: shoulder bag originally designed for 35mm film camera outfits. And I don't actually carry it anymore either. It comes out of the trunk already strapped to a set of luggage wheels.

I admire and envy your physical ability. I used to do some backpacking back in the 1970s. Made it to the top of Long's Peak twice one summer. That you can get out there like that is wonderful.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Thanks. I am not a rock star or hiking, but I refuse to go down. I will do this till I drop.

As for SW, in AZ I haven't personal had issues with condensation on inside of tent, but my tent is super ventilated so it's hard to buildup heat and moisture on inside. A lot of paces I go too are over a 100F at 2am. Which is better than -15F at 2am!

Pack with all camera gear that includes 6 loaded film holders weighs 28 lbs. So, with three days of survival gear, will be about 60lbs. Add a couple lbs for extra film and changing bag.

Are they still selling it? This model doesn’t seem to show up on their website.

I've asked on their Facebook page, but they haven't answered yet. Maybe we could do a group order.

When I backpacked with 4x5, a number of years ago, I used a really great backpacking backpack, but it was horrible for photo use. It was a top-loader, and to get to the camera gear was so much work that I rarely took the gear out, as that involved a lot of unpacking/packing.
    I've got good stuff for day hikes, but nothing good for weekend length excursions.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    When I backpacked with 4x5, a number of years ago, I used a really great backpacking backpack, but it was horrible for photo use. It was a top-loader, and to get to the camera gear was so much work that I rarely took the gear out, as that involved a lot of unpacking/packing.
    For myself, I wouldn't hang up on top-loaders vs. panel-loaders as much as I would make sure that I had a big enough pack that I could segregate my minimal 4x5 kit--either in a dedicated camera bag--or in my case, an Arc'teryx slingpack. That's an approach I've found very useful here in the Smokies, where it's often the case that the tripod needs to go into a place I don't want to take a fully-loaded backpack. (Another advantage is that the slingpack lets me keep from having the typical "yard sale" on the forest floor--our doghobble can swallow a small donkey, much less a GG protector.) I've also pressed a couple of other pockets into that role: an Ortlieb camera bag, which has the advantage of being waterproof; and a Mystery Ranch top-lid that I've modded so that I can click it off the host pack and use it as a 1000 cu in shoulder bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I've asked on their Facebook page, but they haven't answered yet. Maybe we could do a group order.

I've got good stuff for day hikes, but nothing good for weekend length excursions.
    Let me call them. It would be in their close out section, but I didn't see it. They suggested they could make them to order if interest was shown. Let me see if t hey would tell me how many it would take to do a custom run.

As I have written here, I have not backpacked in any significant way for years, so these thoughts are untried and pretty much off the top of my head . . . .

My 4s5 kit weighs around 25 poundes, which seems to be in the ballpark for this discussion. It has not beenweight-optomized for backpacking by looking at each item for weight reduction. For example, I have a huge 90mm f/8 Nikkor in this kit, not the miniscule Schneider 90mm f/6.8. The photo below also shows an even larger 38ommT ele-Raptar that I have since sold. The whole outfit is packed into a shoulder bag as a Grab-N-Go kit.

My coffee fueled early AM thinking . . .Could a similar outit be carried along with about any other "serious" hiking backpack, as a strap-on load? In use, ity would be tacked and strapped to the top of the backpack and removed for use . . .without unpacking the main bag. With thought given to exavctly what is in the photo bag, and exactly which photo bag is used, this could be a workable concvept IMHO>

Below is my 4x5 out fit as packed. Keep in mind that I work fgrtom the trunk of our car and put it on a set of airport luggage wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1011183.jpg   P1011182.jpg  
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!