Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: omega D2 4x5 to 5x7 ???

Re: omega D2 4x5 to 5x7 ???

if the costs are high, and if the quality is not as expected, the frustration is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    I've converted a couple of Beseler 45M to 5x7. Not hard if you are handy with wood. Bellows stay the same. You'll need a bigger light source. I'm not that familiar with Omega.
    The wood is not the problem, the light source, if I see it as a big challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Once you get the Omega you will have to do some trial and error to see how low you can have the lens to both focus your smallest print and also have the image clear the 4x5 cutout where the old negative stage was. Once you figure this out, you will then be able to construct a box of appropriate height, to fit on top of the existing negative stage to house your new 5x7 negative stage. Then supply the new negative stage with a 5x7 light source and you are done. You might need to add an additional counterweight spring, but maybe not, depending on your electrical aptitude, as a 5x7 LED head may be constructed to be lighter than the 4x5 condensers.
    Sounds interesting,,, it's a great challenge. A great adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Once you get the Omega you will have to do some trial and error to see how low you can have the lens to both focus your smallest print and also have the image clear the 4x5 cutout where the old negative stage was. Once you figure this out, you will then be able to construct a box of appropriate height, to fit on top of the existing negative stage to house your new 5x7 negative stage. Then supply the new negative stage with a 5x7 light source and you are done. You might need to add an additional counterweight spring, but maybe not, depending on your electrical aptitude, as a 5x7 LED head may be constructed to be lighter than the 4x5 condensers.
    Sounds interesting,,, it's a great challenge. A great adventure.

Drew Wiley

The springs on Omega are nothing but old-fashioned Acme window sash balances. A simple pulley and weight could either supplement or replace that. The column really isn't stable enough. You'd want a wall brace. A whole new neg carrier would be needed. If you don't have access to aluminum fabrication equipment, electrical circuit board material works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The springs on Omega are nothing but old-fashioned Acme window sash balances. A simple pulley and weight could either supplement or replace that. The column really isn't stable enough. You'd want a wall brace. A whole new neg carrier would be needed. If you don't have access to aluminum fabrication equipment, electrical circuit board material works well.
    in order, if I have the metal base to hold the column on the wall, and at the top, it is anchored to the wall with straps.
    As soon as I have access to the aluminum factory, if there is one, and there are workshops that have precision cutters.
    As far as the electrical circuits are concerned, I'll have to find out about that.
    I'm aware that this is a slow trip, I can make it,,,
    the target is given... no slacking off

Eric Woodbury

If the Omega is hard to modify, swap it for a Beseler. They're quite easy.

What are your lightsource plans? Coldlight? LED? Sounds like a fun project.

Go ahead and just search for a 'E' Omega, they are out there and away from the forums and Ebay and similar, can be had for little or no monies.

The Omega D series is built for use with that size, weight heads, and the E frame will tolerate a 5x7" cndenser head or colour head, without notice, or strain.

I'm no so sure if the D frame enlargers can do the same in the larger format.

I have both a tall D and large E Omegas on my bench with a Valloy II, and one of the Omegas and the Leitz are on granite slabs, 3 cm thick, which 'steady's' them well, and I suggest you do the same, especially with an E sized machine.

Also, look for the Omega wooden D to E negative holder, holder, in which you can use D Omega carriers in. There is also a turret for b&w contrast filters that you can mount onto the enlarger, beneath the lens mount.

You will want a flex-cable focus installed, as well.

I hope you have success in your search, and are able to carry on in the Omega line.

IMO.
    Eli
    Last edited by eli; 27-Mar-2020 at 13:42. Reason: Clarification.

Finding an Omega E-series enlarger in Paraguay may be difficult, but best of luck in any case!
    KHB Photographics in Toronto, Canada, has a marvelous site with all manner of information about (and illustrations of) enlargers. It will be a big help in finding your way. Please keep us informed!

Ask about in old Portrait and Adverting Studios, as well as old High Schools and Colleges, even old print shops, as well as Photo Clubs, all of which might surprise you.

Ads in Penny papers also do no hurt.

Good Luck, Stay Safe, and Cheers!