Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another digital versus analog showdown

Re: Another digital versus analog showdown

Yawn...

Bruce Watson

Drew Wiley

I can make a precision adhesive filmholder out an an ordinary holder for about 50 cents and untie that hand behind the back. It's not a matter of who won - that's obvious - but in which round, and why.

Film still does what I like and digital still does what I don't like to an image the closer you look.

Drew Wiley

I just hope the remanants of the Ottoman Empire of Kodak survives the present financial upheaval. For me, it's film or nothing; and Kodak's selection would be hard to replace. But whatever happens, happens.

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    Those are pretty nice images but I can shoot a whole lot of film for $52,000 and I don't have to front that amount to start.
    Just think of the darkroom/finishing areas you could build.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    Those are pretty nice images but I can shoot a whole lot of film for $52,000 and I don't have to front that amount to start.
    I agree with this sentiment, Until these new cameras with huge potential come down in price that comparable to a 4 x 5 equivalent or 8 x 10 equivalent film camera, I see absolutely no reason for the hobbyist or ameture like myself to buy one of these... But if I was
    working as a professional photographer today , I think these systems become critical and worthy of consideration as a business expense. I purchased a Lambda to stay in the printing game over 15 years ago, at the time it was imperative.

Les

Bob and Don J thanks for being fun. I'm in the process of moving and THIS was what the doctor ordered. Many thanks.

Les

Shameless plug here..

5x7_13x18cm is often the ideal trade-off sheet film format. Too many only consider 4x5 or 8x10 for many Foto-mythical reasons.
    As for why 5x7_13x18cm, it's been discussed-posted many. many, many times on LFF and else where.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I agree with this sentiment, Until these new cameras with huge potential come down in price that comparable to a 4 x 5 equivalent or 8 x 10 equivalent film camera, I see absolutely no reason for the hobbyist or ameture like myself to buy one of these... But if I was
    working as a professional photographer today , I think these systems become critical and worthy of consideration as a business expense. I purchased a Lambda to stay in the printing game over 15 years ago, at the time it was imperative.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Shameless plug here..

5x7_13x18cm is often the ideal trade-off sheet film format. Too many only consider 4x5 or 8x10 for many Foto-mythical reasons.
    As for why 5x7_13x18cm, it's been discussed-posted many. many, many times on LFF and else where.

Bernice
    I have a 5 x 7 Devere and an 11 x 14 Devere but still shoot 4 x 5 and 8 x 10 .. I like the slight advantage of coverage these two enlargers give me.

Drew Wiley

Studio assembly-line product, catalog, or food photography almost mandates the switch. For someone like me, simply trying to bag a very limited number of shots truly worthy of printing, it's another story. If I were still dabbling in commercial architectural photography too, I dunno. Everything commercial now has a "want it yesterday" clientele. But with instant digital feedback, I've seen em constantly peering over the shoulders of the photographer like a vulture, micro-managing them. That would drive me crazy.