Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Another digital versus analog showdown

  1. #11
    Resident Heretic Bruce Watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    USA, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,284

    Re: Another digital versus analog showdown

    Yawn...

    Bruce Watson

  2. #12
    Drew Wiley
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SF Bay area, CA
    Posts
    14,116

    Re: Another digital versus analog showdown

    I can make a precision adhesive filmholder out an an ordinary holder for about 50 cents and untie that hand behind the back. It's not a matter of who won - that's obvious - but in which round, and why.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pacifica, CA
    Posts
    1,633

    Re: Another digital versus analog showdown

    Film still does what I like and digital still does what I don't like to an image the closer you look.

  4. #14
    Drew Wiley
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SF Bay area, CA
    Posts
    14,116

    Re: Another digital versus analog showdown

    I just hope the remanants of the Ottoman Empire of Kodak survives the present financial upheaval. For me, it's film or nothing; and Kodak's selection would be hard to replace. But whatever happens, happens.

  5. #15

    Re: Another digital versus analog showdown

    Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    Those are pretty nice images but I can shoot a whole lot of film for $52,000 and I don't have to front that amount to start.
    Just think of the darkroom/finishing areas you could build.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

  6. #16
    bob carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario,
    Posts
    4,560

    Re: Another digital versus analog showdown

    Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    Those are pretty nice images but I can shoot a whole lot of film for $52,000 and I don't have to front that amount to start.
    I agree with this sentiment, Until these new cameras with huge potential come down in price that comparable to a 4 x 5 equivalent or 8 x 10 equivalent film camera, I see absolutely no reason for the hobbyist or ameture like myself to buy one of these... But if I was
    working as a professional photographer today , I think these systems become critical and worthy of consideration as a business expense. I purchased a Lambda to stay in the printing game over 15 years ago, at the time it was imperative.

  7. #17
    Les
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,100

    Re: Another digital versus analog showdown

    Bob and Don J thanks for being fun. I'm in the process of moving and THIS was what the doctor ordered. Many thanks.

    Les

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,705

    Re: Another digital versus analog showdown

    Shameless plug here..

    5x7_13x18cm is often the ideal trade-off sheet film format. Too many only consider 4x5 or 8x10 for many Foto-mythical reasons.
    As for why 5x7_13x18cm, it's been discussed-posted many. many, many times on LFF and else where.


    Bernice


    Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I agree with this sentiment, Until these new cameras with huge potential come down in price that comparable to a 4 x 5 equivalent or 8 x 10 equivalent film camera, I see absolutely no reason for the hobbyist or ameture like myself to buy one of these... But if I was
    working as a professional photographer today , I think these systems become critical and worthy of consideration as a business expense. I purchased a Lambda to stay in the printing game over 15 years ago, at the time it was imperative.

  9. #19
    bob carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario,
    Posts
    4,560

    Re: Another digital versus analog showdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Shameless plug here..

    5x7_13x18cm is often the ideal trade-off sheet film format. Too many only consider 4x5 or 8x10 for many Foto-mythical reasons.
    As for why 5x7_13x18cm, it's been discussed-posted many. many, many times on LFF and else where.


    Bernice
    I have a 5 x 7 Devere and an 11 x 14 Devere but still shoot 4 x 5 and 8 x 10 .. I like the slight advantage of coverage these two enlargers give me.

  10. #20
    Drew Wiley
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SF Bay area, CA
    Posts
    14,116

    Re: Another digital versus analog showdown

    Studio assembly-line product, catalog, or food photography almost mandates the switch. For someone like me, simply trying to bag a very limited number of shots truly worthy of printing, it's another story. If I were still dabbling in commercial architectural photography too, I dunno. Everything commercial now has a "want it yesterday" clientele. But with instant digital feedback, I've seen em constantly peering over the shoulders of the photographer like a vulture, micro-managing them. That would drive me crazy.

Similar Threads

  1. Rubber stamp for "digital versus analog" threads ?
    By Ken Lee in forum Digital Processing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 23-Aug-2014, 08:02
  2. analog and digital - again
    By peter ramm in forum On Photography
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 26-Jun-2011, 17:11
  3. analog to digital metering
    By Los in forum Digital Processing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2-Mar-2008, 08:58
  4. Digital vs Analog Holography
    By John_4185 in forum On Photography
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 9-Jan-2006, 10:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •