Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A 3D Printing 8x10 Pinhole Camera

Re: A 3D Printing 8x10 Pinhole Camera

Let's not forget, World Pinhole Day, The next pinhole day is April 26, 2020

https://pinholeday.org/

I have never participated as I always forget

This year I will post Pinhole Images on site above and I think we have a couple threads on this forum
    Tin Can

Mr Tin Can, I will try and send you a reminder. It’s a fun event and I bet it will be very popular this year. Just an idea, you should make a pinhole camera out of a tin can.

Roger

Thanks Roger!

My first LF image made 21 years ago by A Tin Can Pinhole. I think I posted this recently...

A selfie made during a Darkroom college class, which got me back on the film track, then stuck on Digi until I got here on this forum, 2011.

Pinhole selfie 1998 2020-01-15-0001 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Those look like injection moulded parts to me, not 3D printed. (Unless you have VERY different 3D printing tools from what the rest of the world uses)

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    You couldn't figure out how to make a box except by 3D printing?

3D printing seems much better put to use making parts that are difficult to achieve through traditional means and a box better achieved with any number of processes that are faster, cheaper, and maybe stronger than 3D printed plastic.
    There are many materials for making cameras, such as metal, wood, plastic and carbon fiber, and there are various processing methods. In recent years, 3D printing has been widely used.

In our vision, the positioning of cosmos 8x10 is light, simple and cheap. We have discussed several manufacturing methods to achieve this positioning. If it's metal processing, we need to use CNC to process these large-scale parts, the cost will be very high, which does not meet our requirements; if it's die-casting, the cost will be very high if the output is not large; we have no plan to produce this camera on a large scale, and finally, we think of 3D printing. We wanted a light and easy 8x10 camera, so we didn't choose wood or metal, which is solid but heavy. Finally, we chose composite plastic for 3D printing.

If it is a large-scale project, we will not choose 3D printing. In fact, 3D printing takes more time and its single piece cost is higher.

We like to interact with friends and hope that more friends can participate in the discussion.

Thank!

Injection molding would take a huge scale up (in product numbers) to make it financially feasible. CNC would actually be somewhat more cost effective with slightly smaller numbers...but I think that for the numbers you'd likely be dealing with, and considering the simplicity of your design...your composite 3D process makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Let's not forget, World Pinhole Day, The next pinhole day is April 26, 2020

https://pinholeday.org/

I have never participated as I always forget

This year I will post Pinhole Images on site above and I think we have a couple threads on this forum
    It's like me. It's like a trick magic. I always remember the date of pinhole day before it comes, but always forget it at that day.

I didn't notice that there are related threads in the forum. Could you send links?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Thanks Roger!

My first LF image made 21 years ago by A Tin Can Pinhole. I think I posted this recently...

A selfie made during a Darkroom college class, which got me back on the film track, then stuck on Digi until I got here on this forum, 2011.

Pinhole selfie 1998 2020-01-15-0001 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    It was inconceivable 21 years ago that Tin was so young.

We also made some pinhole accessories for digital cameras, like pinhole camera body cap, so that friends who like pinhole photography can also take photos with digital cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Those look like injection moulded parts to me, not 3D printed. (Unless you have VERY different 3D printing tools from what the rest of the world uses)
    3D printing also has precision. Generally, the precision of small machines is not too high, only small parts can be printed, and the printing traces are relatively obvious, showing rough workmanship. The processing factory we entrust is specialized in producing all kinds of plastic samples. For their equipment, it's not difficult to print our camera, so our finished products can be so excellent.

some 'sharpshoot' what others do

few make new ways

walk your own path
    Tin Can