Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Easy alternative processes?

Easy alternative processes?

I'm looking for recommendations for good "beginner" alternative processes, toning, etc. I've been making contact prints and want to expand from there, but I have a rather limited darkroom (a cramped bathroom with aluminum foil taped over the one tiny window) with no ventilation, so I'm rather wary of touching anything with particularly hazardous substances. Is there anything that would fit the bill?

Soon, I hope to have a place where I can put together a proper darkroom, but I've got to work with what I have for the moment....

Thanks!

Re: Easy alternative processes?

The only alternative process that I have experience with is pt/pd printing so, as such, no idea how "easy" this process is vs others, but IMO it would be a good place to start. The metals are the most hazardous part, but you don't touch those. As long as you keep UV light away from your work area, you can work under normal roomlight conditions. I would suggest doing some research and watch some YouTube videos to see if this process is of any interest to you.

Good old cyanotypes are a good place to start with. Mild chemicals that can be
    even bought prepackeged, if you want to avoid the hassle of mixing them
    from scratch (which is otherwise straightforward).
    Just choose the right paper. Expose them in the sunlight. Develope them
    in plain water. If you don't like their blue color, tone them with tea (or, God forbids, with wine).

by Pau Martín, on Flickr
    Last edited by pau3; 19-Mar-2020 at 08:38. Reason: Image added
    Best,
    Pau

Some pictures in Flickr.

Yep -- cyanotypes are a fun easy way to start -- and one can get into toning them.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Yup...cyanotype is easy and fun! Nice to tone also (1st image straight, second toned with tannin):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyano skull.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	201831 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyano-tannin skull.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	201832

Ooohh... cyanotypes seem to fit the bill! I'll give those a shot for a bit before I venture further down the road. Thanks all!

Cyanotypes or Van Dyke Brown. The latter comes in nicely when you're done with blue and disappointed with trying to tone it to something else.

Both cyanotypes and VDB are easy,as are most alternative processes. But for a beginning go with CYanotype. It is cheap, simple and requires no darkroom in addition to other advantages. ALthough Imake images using several alt processes, I frequently return to cyan because of their beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    The only alternative process that I have experience with is pt/pd printing so, as such, no idea how "easy" this process is vs others, but IMO it would be a good place to start. The metals are the most hazardous part, but you don't touch those. As long as you keep UV light away from your work area, you can work under lliteblue normal roomlight conditions. I would suggest doing some research and watch some YouTube videos to see if this process is of any interest to you.
    Pretty awesome. Love this.
    Last edited by kleini; 28-Mar-2020 at 05:30. Reason: spelling

Bostick and Sullivan Ziatype kit makes for a good introduction to a printing out process.

https://www.bostick-sullivan.com/articles/ziatype.html

Information from the link.

The Advantages of the Ziatype:
    A printing out system. Images can be evaluated as they print. In most cases the first print will be successful. Far fewer underexposed or overexposed prints.
    Greater contrast control without graining. Normal silver negatives made for printing on No. 2 grade paper can be printed.
    Greater paper acceptance. It tends not to be finicky and prints well on most papers.
    Greater color control. You can "dial in" various shades of brown and red brown, purple and grays.
    Greater printing speed. As much as 3 stops in some cases.
    No developer needed.
    Cold neutral black color with pure palladium. The elegance of a Frederick Evans print with palladium.
    Good Dmax without the use of costly platinum.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.