Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 75mm or 90mm based on the following....

Re: 75mm or 90mm based on the following....

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    As always, this forum group never lets me down. Great advice and suggestions. 90mm it is....the search is on.
    But your question could not be properly answered since you never said what you will shoot with it. National parks? Buildings? Interiors? They all will have different requirements.

Also, make sure you get slim mount filters with front threads if you want to stack filters. Less chance of vignetting that way.

I imagine I would almost exclusively shoot landscapes with this wide lens. On rare occasions I might shoot an old shack in the woods.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Foamer

I have lenses 75/90/135mm for wide. The 90mm gets the most use. I use the 75mm mostly to shoot the interiors of abandoned buildings. Make sure you camera can handle 90mm.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Kent, that Cambo would need the bag bellows for sure. I measured it and think 125mm is about the absolute minimum.

Kent, that Cambo would need the bag bellows for sure. I measured it and think 125mm is about the absolute minimum.
    If you're referring to your camera -- the post I'm quoting is the first mention of Cambo in this discussion -- you may have assembled it incorrectly. See: https://static.cambo.com/Files/SC2_Manual.pdf

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    If you're referring to your camera -- the post I'm quoting is the first mention of Cambo in this discussion -- you may have assembled it incorrectly. See: https://static.cambo.com/Files/SC2_Manual.pdf
    I'm pretty sure I was using a 90mm Super Angulon on it with the bag bellows.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

With 4x5, pick a 90mm lens that has enough image circle to meet the image making needs.

~Then go burn film.

Analysis-Paralysis prevents the burning of film, production print images and greatly slows the ability to travel up the learning curve.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Dan thank you so much for checking....I've looked at this sheet before and verified I do have it set up the same way as depicted. When I compress the standards as close together as I can WITH THE TRIPOD CENTER SUPPORT BETWEEN the standards, the closest I can get them from lens board to GG is about 120mm.

I'm assuming then, shortest focal length lens I could use in the configuration would be a 120mm lens (but with no allowance for movements.

Is that right?

I think the only way you an effectively use shorter focal length lenses is by moving the two standards IN FRONT of the tripod mount which would then allow them to get much more close together.

Do I have this correct???

Thanks guys!! I'd be totally lost without your help. Well, in fact I would have never tried out LF, and that would have been a shame....

Foamer

Yes. Mount tripod block somewhere else besides between the standards. It's normally between them to better balance camera and get them out of the way.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

There's a surprising difference between 150mm and 90mm. I have both lenses, and find 90mm is more than enough for my casual use. My 150 is my most-used lens these days. I've only used a 75mm a couple of times, and found that it was so wide it was difficult to use, and it did not have a lot of coverage. On the other hand, I have a good friend who did a lot of architectural work with his 75mm and uses it as his standard wide lens. My 90 is an f/8, it is fine in most landscape situations, very useful in tight spaces or for creating a sense of space where there may not be some in reality. There are a lot of good used 90s out there, and they seem to hover around $350-400 for modern lenses in newer shutters.