Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filters for 8x10

Filters for 8x10

Hi there! I have no doubt this has been discussed somewhere here before, but I didn't find anything in my search.

I have a cheapo Cokin set I'd been using on my Intrepid 4x5, but recently upgraded to an Calumet C-1 8x10, and thought I might invest in a higher quality filter set that'll work on my Black Beast. Any recommendations?

An additional hurdle is that my lens is an Ilex-Calumet Caltar 375mm f/6.3, which doesn't have any filter threads. Any advice for dealing with a lens without threads? Can I just hold the filter up to the lens by hand...?

Appreciate any advice you might have!

-Jeff

Re: Filters for 8x10

Glue on a filter adapter or as I would have done, 3D-print a filter ring to be pressed on. I seldom use filter, I usually need all the light I can get.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Your current filters will be fine on 8x10.

You don't really want to just hold filters by hand. If you're touching the lens barrel you will probably be moving slightly, blurring your photo and scratching your filter. If you aren't touching the lens barrel, you might get weird reflections off the rear of the filter.

My solution to a lens without threads is here: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...thread-adapter
    -Chris

Foamer

I have circular glass filters. Mostly use in this order: orange, red, polarizer, yellow, green. (I only shoot b&w.) If the filter won't screw in I simply hold it front of the lens with my hand. I've been known to tape it in place too.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Drew Wiley

slip-on threaded adapters can be either improvised or custom made. I'm a strong advocate for coated glass filters. They stay cleaner, have less flare, last longer. Might as well get high quality. You don't really need that many. What's the point of using more expensive larger film if you're compromising the image in some other manner?

Foamer

I too only buy multicoated filters. Generally find good used ones on Ebay.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I also have a Calumet C-1 Black Beast. I standardized on 67mm glass filters for all but one lens. I agree with Drew above. There are slip on and clamp on filter holders often for series filters that can use and adapter to metric filters - or just use series filters. I use both. Once you set up the C-1 on a good tripod it does not move.

Thanks for all of the advice! (And thank you for relocating the thread to the correct location! )

I'll take a look at piecing together a slip-on holder. Since I'll mainly be shooting 8x10 with x-ray film due to price, I wanted to have at least some way of taming skies/clouds just a bit. Usually when I shoot landscapes, I gravitate towards using red filters because it's a look I really enjoy, so using orthochromatic film has been quite a change.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsweet View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice! (And thank you for relocating the thread to the correct location! )

I'll take a look at piecing together a slip-on holder. Since I'll mainly be shooting 8x10 with x-ray film due to price, I wanted to have at least some way of taming skies/clouds just a bit. Usually when I shoot landscapes, I gravitate towards using red filters because it's a look I really enjoy, so using orthochromatic film has been quite a change.
    WIth x-ray film your red and orange filters are useless. Migrate toward yellow for general use. I use wratten #8 most often.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    WIth x-ray film your red and orange filters are useless. Migrate toward yellow for general use. I use wratten #8 most often.
    Yeah, I figured red certainly would be out of the question. But at least a yellow and maybe a GND might help a tad when shooting outdoors.