Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backpacks for 4X5 with 3 small lenses and Chamonix F2

Re: Backpacks for 4X5 with 3 small lenses and Chamonix F2

I have used two different backpacks and I have only two pieces of advice:
    1. Get a "panel loading" (as contrasted with a top loading) backpack;
    2. Go as light as you can. You will move around more and see more stuff to excite you.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    I think Dana Gleason designs the best load-carrying frames.
    +1 on Dana Designs/Mystery Ranch--is that an old Bomb pack? Classic if there ever was one. (FWIW, I've got an old Boseman-era Astralplane--don't think the old Arc-flex suspension as ever been improved on.)

To get back to the OP, you'll find a lot of back and forth on panel-loaders vs. top-loaders--advantages to both, but if you get a top-loader, make sure the diameter of the packbag isn't too skinny. (Again, DD/Mystery Ranch has some cavernous packs.) On the other hand, panel loaders can be a challenge to pack efficiently--one trick you might consider is getting a molle panel that you can then attach your pouches to (e.g.http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produc...6/ProductID/44) which can also help with weight distribution if you hang it close to the suspension side of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    I like my Tenba Shootout 24L backpack. https://www.tenba.com/en/products/shootout-24l-backpack It almost seems made for large format. I have the Chamonix Hs-1 and three lenses. The holders go into a pocket on the front, and I recently added an F64 pouch on the side to carry more holders for a recent trip. My folded dark cloth (not shown) goes across the camera and lenses. Lunch is put in the top section where my meter is. In all I'd say that while the Tenba is not large enough for multi-day trips, it works great for a long day hike.
    Attachment 201814

Austin, What did you wrap your lenses with?

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    +1 on Dana Designs/Mystery Ranch--is that an old Bomb pack? Classic if there ever was one. (FWIW, I've got an old Boseman-era Astralplane--don't think the old Arc-flex suspension as ever been improved on.).
    I’m not sure what this one was called. It’s bigger than a Bomb pack, and has a more modern fabric. I also have a Bomb, a Terraplane, and.... If I were buying now I would get this. The Y zipper is great.
    https://www.mysteryranch.com/coulee-40-pack

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    If I were buying now I would get this.
    Very cool--definitely an "agile" pack it seems. FWIW, I've become a fan of Hill People Gear packs--if your days afield involve a bit off-trail scrambling, I haven't come across a better shoulder harness/hipbelt combo.
    http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/3

Pete: Great advice. My Tenba loads both from the top (I never really use that) and the back... inside. This works as I lay it down on the outside and open the part that rides on my back and dirt doesn't get in. What I think I"m going to do is rob some of my other carry gear for the panel stuff for lenses, and may get a Domke Compartment Kit to make it really work. Lighter is better. I'll camp on a boat, but am less inclined elsewhere. Guess I like skeeters better than the rest? Dunno. The trick is to open space up - or try to - by moving to compartments and using fewer Tenba lens wraps? That's my current thought. The Chamonix comes with a handy bag of it own which I've put the whole thing in the bag, and I should probably stop that, too with the compartment. Then I'd have room maybe for the filmholders to go in the pack, and maybe the filters. I'm using Lee filters for the big holder (which seems too big!) but it does allow a grad, a polarizer and a B&W filter without getting unwieldy... or does it? Not sure. Still, outside of the tripod, the whole was about 10 pounds or so when I weighed it (3 lenses onboard). Felt like more.... 'cause that's me.. a non-rugged (or better: formerly rugged) individual.

Thanks for all these ideas and suggestions. I know folks say they're posted all over here, but NOT if you search for it... or if it is, it's under gear no longer available. So maybe this remains handy for more than just me. Hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Austin, What did you wrap your lenses with?
    They're Domke wraps. They make a few different sizes and colors. I like them because they offer some extra protection without taking up much room. I will say though, that after heavy use, they do start to fray around the edges a little. https://www.adorama.com/l/Photograph...otective-Wraps

I really like my new-ish Atlas Adventure backpack. You might could get away with their smaller Athlete Pack since you do not carry as much as I do. The ICUs are built in but flexible. The back opening design makes working out of the bag easy and I have access to all I need in the ICU without resorting to the additional weight of many small cases or digging around in outer pockets. There was also plenty of discussion in this thread https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ght=atlas+pack and others if you look back a few pages.

Lens wraps are nice too but if they have velcro on outside they tend to stick to ICU fabrics.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

ou can spend a good bit of time and effort looking for "The Right" photo backpack and spend piles of money on it (aand thats OK). Another approach is to get a serious hiker's back pack and adapt it to your gear. This was the concept behind the now discontinued PhotoBackpacker line of packs and storage boxes. The base pack was a Kelty Redwing I think.

back in the 1990s, we spent our 20th anniversary on a trip through New Mexico and Arizona. My kit at the time was a shoe string collection of gear based on a 4x5 Graflex beater. I still have the camera and it still looks bad. To keep it all together, I used a Jan Sport book bag quality backpack. I got a closed cell foam workout mat and cut it up to fill the body of the bag in layers. Then cut out spaces for the gear. The foam was in layers and hot-glued together. Worked great for several years.

Now you don't have to do this as cheaply as I did (had to back then), but this same approach can get you a fully effective packing system that is based around a premium grade hiking day pack that carries well, fully protects your photo gear and is convenient to use in the field.

Anolther benefit is rthat the kit doesn't scream STEAL ME.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    They're Domke wraps. They make a few different sizes and colors. I like them because they offer some extra protection without taking up much room. I will say though, that after heavy use, they do start to fray around the edges a little. https://www.adorama.com/l/Photograph...otective-Wraps
    A member here, Daniel Stone, makes something similar to the domke wraps. I wouldn't be surprised if his product was a little tougher than the mass produced.

He's posted in the section for member made goods for sale.
    -Chris