Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backpacks for 4X5 with 3 small lenses and Chamonix F2

Re: Backpacks for 4X5 with 3 small lenses and Chamonix F2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My_Bataflae_18L_Tan_Bacpack.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	201829

I use a Gura Gear Bataflae 18L or Bataflae 26L backpack when I go to a nearby location.
    I put Chamonix 4x5 camera, 2~3 lenses, 4~6 sheet film holders(Stone Photo Gear's 4x5 field case), Sekonic exposure meter, BTZS 5x7 dark cloth, Silvestri loupe, and several accessories in this backpack.
    And I attach Really Right Stuff's TQC-14 tripod to the backpack side pocket.
    Chamonix 45N-2, Chamonix 45H-1

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    They're Domke wraps. They make a few different sizes and colors. I like them because they offer some extra protection without taking up much room. I will say though, that after heavy use, they do start to fray around the edges a little. https://www.adorama.com/l/Photograph...otective-Wraps
    What sizes are recommended for 4x5 lens, the smaller ones like a 150mm with 67mm filter size? What about larger 90mm wide angle with 82mm filter sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    What sizes are recommended for 4x5 lens, the smaller ones like a 150mm with 67mm filter size? What about larger 90mm wide angle with 82mm filter sizes?
    All my lenses use 67MM filters, and the 11" X 11" wraps are perfect. The picture below shows a Schneider Super-Symmar HM120 (yes, it has the wrong lens cap) to give you an idea. I'm not sure about a lens with an 82mm filter size, but I think the 11" would still be the one. I guess you could experiment with a piece of paper.

Name:	IMG_5229.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	201834

Quote Originally Posted by younghoon Kil View Post

Name:	My_Bataflae_18L_Tan_Bacpack.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	201829

I use a Gura Gear Bataflae 18L or Bataflae 26L backpack when I go to a nearby location.
    I put Chamonix 4x5 camera, 2~3 lenses, 4~6 sheet film holders(Stone Photo Gear's 4x5 field case), Sekonic exposure meter, BTZS 5x7 dark cloth, Silvestri loupe, and several accessories in this backpack.
    And I attach Really Right Stuff's TQC-14 tripod to the backpack side pocket.
    That's the approach I am talking about. Get a pack you like and adapt how you pack your gear into it. n up-scale m odel cvompared to what I had put together.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    You can spend a good bit of time and effort looking for "The Right" photo backpack and spend piles of money on it (aand thats OK)."
    I'm kind of set on adpating what I have. I've raided an old DOMKE backpack for the inserts and putting them into the Tenba bag. Fact is that MOST folks out there have no idea what a photographer's backpack is vs. any other, and some of those others used by kids to get around Europe scream "MONEY INSIDE". If they get your camera gear, find it's not digital, I'm betting you might even get it back these days.

Like some of the other film holders. Step one is to see if I can minimize my need for separate film holder bags, lens wraps and camera bags.... still protect my stuff... and get more in the existing bag so that there's greater utility and free hands. Got talked into a sweet, but probably too big RRS tripod some years ago... but I'll carry that rather than spend again anytime soon. Trying to maximize free hands to catch my geezing body - when necessary.

Lens wraps: Lay those guys on the ground and they seem to pick up all kinds of dirt and dust.
    Filmholder "wraps": Stone Photo Gear stuff looks pretty doggone workable.

You guys have been a great help and encouragement. I'm not dissing the hiker packs at all. I'm just still trying to work and re-arrange my existing gear as much as possible to lighten the load. It's past time I figured this out, huh? Sure it is. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau View Post
    Trying to maximize free hands to catch my geezing body - when necessary.
    Excellent, as I said in my original reply, I don't think you'll max out any pack with your current load-out, so hopefully you're set to hit the trail. However, if that also applies literally, definitely consider a set of trekking poles--you can find a set for not much money and surely find a way to strap them to your pack when not in use. Much better than using your hands! (I managed to break both wrists in a weightlifting accident a few years back--not something I'd recommend, though you do rather learn who your friends are...)

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    All my lenses use 67MM filters, and the 11" X 11" wraps are perfect. The picture below shows a Schneider Super-Symmar HM120 (yes, it has the wrong lens cap) to give you an idea. I'm not sure about a lens with an 82mm filter size, but I think the 11" would still be the one. I guess you could experiment with a piece of paper.

Name:	IMG_5229.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	201834
    I manage to get to the 67mm filter - with adaptor rings. Do you use round filters, or a filter holder with squares? I'm kind of in-between. Round pack small, but you need the square for a grad... which I've yet to use, but am aiming to do so soon.

oscoetuff-Skip Mersereau:

All good points. I must not have read your OP carefully. Thought you were looking for a brand new dedicated "best" bag.

The important thing is that it works for you. I like the idea of using a set of inserts to adapt the pack. How much real hiking will you be doing with your "Geezer" body? I myself have gotten to the point where my4x5 kit only goes in "Handy Cap Accessible" areas on a set of luggage wheels.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Hello,

I use a Lowepro AW300 which I own for my 35mm gear.
    I converted it for my 4x5 kit. Maybe the original padding doesn't allow you to fully adjust it to 4x5 but you can menage it with self made padding or padding from other bags.
    I usually do one day hiking and it performed good.
    The only downside is that you have to use the side straps to hold the tripod (I have a 190+410 head) and this will unbalance the backpack on your shoulders. The central tripod strap is totally useless, I find.

Name:	lowepro.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	202140
    Pressing the shutter is the only easy thing

Roberto: Looks pretty sweet! Not far off what I've got set up. Will send a pic tomorrow. Smaller pack, so I think I'll be carrying the tripod in my hands... but otherwise... good. Take care of yourself in Ground Zero, sing and stay safe!