Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Backpacks for 4X5 with 3 small lenses and Chamonix F2

Re: Backpacks for 4X5 with 3 small lenses and Chamonix F2

Quote Originally Posted by roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau View Post
    Roberto: Looks pretty sweet! Not far off what I've got set up. Will send a pic tomorrow. Smaller pack, so I think I'll be carrying the tripod in my hands... but otherwise... good. Take care of yourself in Ground Zero, sing and stay safe!
    Thank you Roscoe. Yes, I use to carry the tripod by hand if I don't need to have both hands free.
    We are locked-down for almost three weeks now and we will for other two at least. I do some indoor portrait to my sons, waiting for when I can go around in the hillside again.
    Take care you too in US. Don't underestimate this plague, it spreads very fast and It could be lethal to many even if some will experience just a weak flu.
    Stay home, stay safe.

With love, from Italy
    Pressing the shutter is the only easy thing

Just ordered the Lowepro Tactic 450, which I plan on using with the Fuji GX680.
    The GX680 is bulkier than most 4x5 cameras, but having tried the local store's display bag first, it had plenty of room to spare, after packing the camera body, with back and lens attached.

I just started 4x5 photography. I don't hike. I wanted a bag to keep in the trunk that I could carry short distances from the car with all my stuff. So I settled on an F64. I keep the film packs in one of the side cases. The other is empty for now and can be switch to the other side or removed and a shoulder strap added for carrying separately. Pictures of the inside is below.

I currently have three lenses. I keep one on my Chamonix 45H-1. In the big panel, I also have a meter and a small P&S digital that I'm trying to use to "see" the shots in BW and use as a meter. Also a reflex viewer that I don;t know was worth it, a dark cloth, log book. The small panel has filters, a lens, loupes, cleaning cloths etc. There's misc stuff inside the pocket on the front. The backpack has shoulder straps. (not in the pictures).But they hang loose and they don't pack away when not using them. They lay in the dirt if you put the backpack down that way. I tried carrying the pack with the straps a short distance. It seems comfortable enough. But I don't know what it would be like on a long hike. There is a handle on the top for carrying short distance. Also a rain cover in a case that is rolled into the bottom that comes with the bag. I carry my tripod separately for now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200405_103149 red.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	202262
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200405_103139 red.jpg   20200405_103035 red.jpg   20200405_103114 red.jpg  

Okay... THOUGHT I posted a photo of my adapted backpack. Must have put it in the wrong place? Let's try this again:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BACKPACK.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	202284

This is a relatively small pack, stil I've made room for 3 lenses: 75mm, 135mm and 240mm, a Toyo 4X loupe, 6 film holders with a Sekonic spot ref/incident meter in the top, a protective Tenba padded lens cloth allowing the velcro to attach to the sides and pad as well as protect the gear from falling out. Yes, you see the camera in Chamonix's leather case, and it all fits. Even have a gray card and 4X5 sized foam board "view frame" on the other side, a lens wrench and a Mindshift filter bag which I'm attaching to the side. My tripod with it's new-to-me Manfrotto geared head is a "carry separately". Total weight without tripod is under 20 LBS, and got a trial today walking 15 minutes cross town to shoot the Waterwitch building. We'll see.... but so far so good. Gonna have to lighten the load with more experience!!!

Alan: That looks like room to spare. Love it. My pack kicks backwards, but there's something to be said about spreading the whole first. Maybe someone will give me one for a birthday or year-end Christmas gift - if I'm lucky.
    Last edited by roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau; 5-Apr-2020 at 19:51. Reason: Add Photos

Skip, MY 4x5 kit shown above I just weighed at 22 lbs. The old Gitzo tripod with head weighs another 9. I use it for my Mamiya RB67 medium format equipment as well. Interestingly, the RB67 camera and lens weighs 9 lbs against the Chamonix 45H-1's and lens 4.5 lbs. The RB67 backpack comes in a around 30 lbs. The lenses are a lot heavier as well as the camera. Carrying this stuff seems to be good for my heart if not my back.

Alan: Yes... I think MF and it's attendant glass is way heavier. Had the back surgery and don't want more. I've tried the heavy MF with a Bronica and then a Rollieflex 6008 series... but the comparatively lightweight Rollieflex 3.5F is the one that "clicked" ...and silently as well. Never thought I'd like a TLR, but tried it and got hooked. Amazing the way the accessories fit into a system that really let's you do much more than you thought possible. The other MF is either gone or on it's way out the door if I can get that organized. Trying to decide what 35mm gear to keep, too. Probably keep the Nikon and dump the rest... reluctant as I am. Nikon lenses work both with 35mm and digital and that's a powerful combo even if it lacks some of the mental appeal of other choices. So yeah... eventually we find where we fit and the gear gets rationalized.

So one thing I've learned in returning to photography is never say never... 'cause in my case, never seems to only mean "not yet".

Skip: Good luck with your back. When I travel with my wife, I leave everything home now except my Sony RX100iv, a little P&S with a 1" sensor that I can keep in my breast pocket. It shoots 4k video as well as 20mb stills and makes beautiful slide and video shows that I play on a 75" 4K TV, cellphone, and monitor. You use the tools that make sense at the time.

This is a TOPO Klettersak. I took this to Nashville as a carry on with a Chamonix H1, two lenses, and 10 holders. It was perfectly fine and doesn’t scream “I’m a camera bag”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk