Thread: Olaf Otto Becker photographing from a dinghy in Greenland?

Olaf Otto Becker photographing from a dinghy in Greenland?

I have often looked at the 8x10 images in "Broken Line" by Olaf Otto Becker and wondered how these were achieved, seeing as he seems close to them. It turns out he is taking them on a rubber dinghy, noted on the latest version of his website " I covered 4000 km along the west coast of Greenland alone in a rubber raft in order to document these with a large format camera. "

Just wondering if anybody had any thoughts as to how you would achieve the right combination of stability, shutter speed, D.O.F, to successfully capture these images..

Quite a few of them seem to be shot in very low light as well.. There are a few that do seem to be quite grainy for an 8x10 shot (even visible on the webpage), so maybe he is pushing the film quite a bit for these low light shots?

https://www.olafottobecker.de/?page=...ts_broken_line

and some video of him doing the project...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRhMZ79IZu0&t=184s

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Olaf Otto Becker photographing from a dinghy in Greenland?

Perhaps he used the boat only for getting from A to B? He doesn't state that he shoots from it. But why don't you ask him?

Sure looks to me like he shoots from the boat for some of the images. I think it's a matter of choosing calm seas and patient waiting for the right moment when nothing is moving to trip the shutter. Fabulous images!

Doremus

Monopod or tripod into water where not too deep? A number appear as if from rocky land or maybe ice floes.

What size prints does he make and market?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

To me, it also looks like he has taken some from the boat.

As you can see in the ones that look closer to the icebergs, the extreme background elements are not as sharp (attached), whilst the icebergs themselves are..

The ones that are taken on a stable surface look sharp from front to back.

The ones that seem to be taken from the boat, seem to be sold and printed as large as 72 inch x 88 inch.

The second one attached also seems much grainier than the others, due to the low light and I assume, having to push the film. If it was on a solid platform, there would be no need to do any of that. Also, the water looks deep enough that I think it can be ruled out that he is shooting from a monopod or tripod in the water.

So really interesting to me, must have established a base shutter speed to work from that would enable "adequate" sharpness and then gone from there maybe...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 12.21.41.jpg   Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 12.48.05.jpg  

At the 0.41 second mark of the video, it shows him shooting from the boat.