Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Set Up for Film Holder Labels

My Set Up for Film Holder Labels

Here is my set up I have been using to label my film holders with removable labels. I put in the upper right corner the film holder number, ie; 1A, 1B, 2A,2B, etc.

How would you label these if you were using them? I will have Office Depot print them since my printer is doa. They are Avery Labels, #5230. 252 labels per pack, 7 labels per sheet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 22.15.48.jpg  

Re: My Set Up for Film Holder Labels

I’d do it pretty much the way you did. I used to make magazine labels for 35mm cinema cameras that way. I’d print the template and then take packs of labels to the copy shop and run the labels through the copier. Copy prices are usually cheaper than print prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

I tried this for a while but it didn’t work for me — too cumbersome to write on the holders and always scared I’m going to accidentally open a slide or something.

So I just have them “permanently” labeled with 1A/1B, 2A/2B etc and then I carry a pocket book where I take notes for every picture (aperture, speed, conditions, anything really i may want to know afterwords). I also take a pic with my iPhone so that I can map the holder to the actual scene. Intrepid sells a nice mini book to record pic notes, which I like. In that book I will also carry corrections for shutter speeds for each lens — they’re not way off but I find it particularly useful when exposing slide film since I don’t want to be off by an extra 1/2 stop if I can correct it.

If I carry different film types loaded I will use different color sleeves for the holders indicating eg which ones are FP4+, provia, and Ektar. Or whatever I’m using.

We all develop an approach to make sense and remember what we did. I’m sure others have other equally valid approaches.

Eric Woodbury

I don't label my film holders at all, except for film type. I've never been good about notes. I make the image, write on the white strip in soft pencil what the development should be and maybe some little detail. Film type is indicated with a color coded Dymo label, the old plastic kind with de-bossed letters. Blue is FP4, Green is HP5, Yellow is Tech Pan, and Red is Ortho. I also color the outside edge of the darkslide with felt pen of matching color so I can easily grab the film holders I need without reading labels. That's it.

I take good notes, but on one trip, I cycled thru my film holders several times and my notes be am a mess. So I still use labels and take notes. More detailed than I can on the labels. And I can easily match notes to labels, film holders and film.

I label each film holder 1A/1B, 2A/2B, etc and use color coded tape for each set of 8 (I think it's 8 that comes in a Toyo box package), so I have red, yellow, blue, for chrome, negative, and b&w. I too keep a notebook on my smartphone and make note of the date, subject, settings, etc, sometimes snapping a photo with my phone to help remember which frame belongs to which outing.

Its good to have a system especially while learning or changing methods. How do you decide what gets special development? and what if you want to see details six months down the road. I use blue painter tape on the slide and mark the film and number. That corresponds to my 3x5 index card which contains the exposure notes and development notes afterward.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Well and good. But there is still no way with this system to know which sheet was shot in which side of which holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Well and good. But there is still no way with this system to know which sheet was shot in which side of which holder.
    From the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I put in the upper right corner the film holder number, ie; 1A, 1B, 2A,2B, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

What do Tv and R/F stand for?