Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Grad ND, Contrast and Color FIlter Setup with Center Filter

Drew Wiley

Re: Grad ND, Contrast and Color FIlter Setup with Center Filter

Do you think nobody here cares about quality control? Is everyone so rich they can wing it at today's color sheet film pricing? Does personal color printing have a lower standard than commercial - hell know - it has a higher standard! Do you think you can fix things in PS that can't be fixed in a darkroom; if you do, then it just confirms that you don't have a good handle on the question itself. If it ain't on the film to begin with, you can't salvage it. Who do you think you are, allegedly speaking for "everyone" else?, or by snidely implying color darkroom printers are somehow "backward" or out-of-step? Show me one inkjet print on the planet that can come up to optimized real darkroom standards or equivalent laser-printing on RA4 materials? Now go convince somebody else that Burger King tastes every bit as good as a Porterhouse steak. Because that is exactly what you sound like, as far as I'm concerned. I never claimed my information is mandatory. It's available for those who might want to take an equivalent path, and there are evidently quite a number of them. People still buy brushes and pigment and canvas just like they did five hundred years ago. Does that mean they're backwards?

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Drew Wiley

I chose not to be a High School teacher. Now I know why. The cartoon is cute. But aren't you a bit hypocritical shooting a view camera, perhaps wooden, and calling me backwards for printing color in a highly equipped darkroom?

I think I stirred up a hornet's nest. Well I consider us all friends and don't want anyone to devolve into character assassinations. We all have our skills and experiences that's important to share. I admire your talents and learn a lot from both of you. Varied opinions are stimulating and educational. So thanks.

Nah, no hornet's nest here. I suggest you look at the image I posted and consider critically the amount of fall-off it presents on Velvia (almost none). You may find you want a CF on your 90 at some point but I doubt you'll find yourself needing it with every shot, unless your goal is perfectly even photos of plain grey walls.

If you'll indulge me one more photo. Here is an early photo I shot on Velvia 50 almost 10 years ago, with a plain vanilla Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f/8, and with some front rise. Very even lighting in shade. Don't be fooled by the darker cement color on the upper area, but yes it does show a bit of fall-off overall. Nothing to get excited about or ruin the photo - it made a fantastic 30x24 print.

Be sure to let Drew know if you are doing critical repro work, otherwise you really don't need to overly worry about a CF. Personally, I don't even use one very often with my 47mm and 58mm lenses, which are way wider and have more fall-off.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

+1

Twice
    Tin Can

Well, I already have the CF for the 90mm but not for the 75mm on order. So I'll shoot both ways and see what's up. I'll hold off buy any new filter sets until I make up my mind. Thanks all.

OK so I finally got out and shot the 75mm and 90mm (with and without the CF) with Tmax 100. I added 1 1/2 stops with the CF on the 90mm. I should have added 1/3 of stop as I was down in the single digits for time, around 1 sec for one and three for the other. Large format is fidgety. A lot of stuff going on.

I noticed some deer crp nearby and forget to spray myself with Deet or Permethrin. The ticks around here in New Jersey are really bad with Lyme disease. It's like a "walking dead" movie. Either the Lyme will get you or the coronavirus. It ain't safe to go out.