Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New light box from Home Depot

Drew Wiley

Re: New light box from Home Depot

A lot of makers of such things just jump to the conclusion that if they put in a certain spectral light source, their problems are over. But if they don't even quality check the end result, why would they be responsible enough to verify the quality of the light source itself? I never assume anything, even consistently reliable color temp readings. But in this case, I'd sure hate to not have a good color temp meter! Then an objective film test itself, and only afterwards actual backlit color copy work.

Perhaps I missed it, but is there a concern over UV and repeated use, with magnifiers?

Eli

I dont think there would be much in the way of uv from a white LED. I think the UV LEDs would be a bit too expensive to use for cheap light panels. Somebody out there may have more info.

There is no way any harmful UV would get through that white plastic diffuser.

To make UV emitting or UV transmissive optics, one often needs to use special glass types that transmit well in the ultraviolet. Nearly any glass or plastic that isn't specialized for UV will block most UV radiation (one reason that even 99 cent sunglasses are good for blocking the sun's UV and protecting your eyes from that).

https://www.skincancer.org/blog/surp...s-automobiles/

Quote Originally Posted by reddesert View Post
    There is no way any harmful UV would get through that white plastic diffuser.

To make UV emitting or UV transmissive optics, one often needs to use special glass types that transmit well in the ultraviolet. Nearly any glass or plastic that isn't specialized for UV will block most UV radiation (one reason that even 99 cent sunglasses are good for blocking the sun's UV and protecting your eyes from that).
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

UV gets through more things than you might think. Getting enough through for UV printing purposes is one thing; getting too much through for eye safety or in relation to fading is another. Cataracts used to be an old-age issue; now there a middle-aged epidemic of it due to excessive blue light emission from computer and phone screens. And in relation to UV fading of photography, fabric, artwork etc, even expensive coated or yellowish tinted plastics just slow fading down slightly. If it's a high-UV light source is involved, like direct sunlight, UV is still going to wreak havoc. I've tested quite a range of things in this regard. Right now, I've got a yellowish cover to the computer screen, have the brightness dialed way down, and have optically coated glasses on hand designed to offset the risk.