Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Digitizing Tools article

Re: My Digitizing Tools article

I use an air ionizing fan and an ionizing air gun to clean my negatives. I use hepa type of filters in my ac vents and a humidifier. After wet mounting on ANR glass, my dust levels went down about 50-75%.

Les

Thanks for that, Darlene...and Peter. Nice set up. Mine is not going to be this elaborate, but I can make it work....stitching 4 shots using DSLR.Having good light with plenty of CRI's....it should do the trick.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Digi Pic Scan.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	201793
    Les

Steve, why are you wet-mounting on anti Newton glass? You won"t get Newton's rings when wet-mounting.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Its just what I bought as part of the kit from Better scanning when I got adjustable holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Nice write-up and system! For bigger film, you can use a sheet of anti-Newton glass or P99 acrylic under the negative, and then just place a mask on top. For very curly film you can use a sandwich of anti-Newton glass/acrylic. That's how my Cezanne works, and it's capable of a true 6000 spi.

I recommend silicone sticky rollers to clean film. They work really well! https://www.amazon.com/Record-Cleani...4366988&sr=8-2
    Hi Peter!

Thank you for the suggestion of anti-Newton glass (ANG). I did use ANG many years ago and was unhappy with the results for some reason, but I am going to try it again for my 6x17 film. Also, upon your suggestion I have ordered the silicone sticky rollers. Thank you again!!

Best to you,
    Darr

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    +1 on the rollers--I bought one on Peter's recommendation and it seems to work great.

Otherwise, a great article--looking forward to Part II. (FWIW, I'd be interested in checking out the Flickr group if you happen to list it.)
    Hi CB,

It is not a Flickr group but a Facebook group. Do a search in Facebook for: "Digitizing film with a digital camera"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/287716734970881/

Best to you,
    Darr

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Thanks for that, Darlene...and Peter. Nice set up. Mine is not going to be this elaborate, but I can make it work....stitching 4 shots using DSLR.Having good light with plenty of CRI's....it should do the trick.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Digi Pic Scan.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	201793
    Les
    Hi Les,

Thank you for your kind comment. I too stitch my film, mainly the 6x12, 6x17 and 4x5 films. Your setup need not be elaborate. I feel the copy stand and light source are probably the most important. Most digital sensors from the past few years coupled with a decent lens works fine. Once I got into it, I found leveling my setup properly was key to best results and saving time. In my next post I will go over how I level prior to shooting, my camera settings and shooting technique, and the software I use for post-processing.

Kind regards,
    Darr