Thread: Ektachrome E100G and new E100 the same film?

Ektachrome E100G and new E100 the same film?

Hi everyone, I was shooting some of the new Kodak Ektachrome E100 film and I noticed the notch codes are the same as the old E100G

Is this the same emulsion makeup? Why change the designation and keep the same notch code? Was it just a mistake because the older technicians aren’t around to explain to new ones that notch codes should change with new versions of a film? It seems the bar codes are the same also.

Anyone know?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8363EB1A-37E2-45F8-96F2-8589504A1C26.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	201686

Re: Ektachrome E100G and new E100 the same film?

Same catalog number and bar code.

Drew Wiley

Don't worry about it. The new E100 is intended as a direct functional replacement even though there are minor differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Stone View Post
    Hi everyone, I was shooting some of the new Kodak Ektachrome E100 film and I noticed the notch codes are the same as the old E100G

Is this the same emulsion makeup?...
    No, it had to be reformulated due to some E100G components sourced outside of Eastman Kodak no longer being available.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Stone View Post
    ...Why change the designation and keep the same notch code...It seems the bar codes are the same also...
    Bean counters allocate a cost for every new SKU number. Since the old one is already in Kodak's "system," and associated with that notch code, re-using it keeps the cost of reintroducing Ektachrome lower. Marketing is simultaneously able to call it "E100" and thereby satisfy consumers' perpetual thirst for "new."

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    No, it had to be reformulated due to some E100G components sourced outside of Eastman Kodak no longer being available.

Bean counters allocate a cost for every new SKU number. Since the old one is already in Kodak's "system," and associated with that notch code, re-using it keeps the cost of reintroducing Ektachrome lower. Marketing is simultaneously able to call it "E100" and thereby satisfy consumers' perpetual thirst for "new."
    Thank you Sal, that all makes perfect sense. I also thought it had been reformulated, so I’m glad I wasn’t totally off base.

They definitely seem like they have a different color pallete in my experience. I really enjoy the new E100, but I love the old E100G too. I can shoot E100 unfiltered in more situations than Provia, even though it can seem cool at times.

I just ordered a box of 50 sheets of 5x7 E100 from Keith Canham. That'll probably last me a while unless I become wildly prolific. Glad to have it around!

Drew Wiley

E100 is very precisely balanced for 5500K, at least the batch I personally and carefully tested. Provia is less neutral, so a different look. There has long been a controversy over exactly what popular Fuji chrome films like Velvia and Provia are balanced to, some claiming 5200K. For repro purposes, 5000K works better for me.