Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do we need the mylar?

Re: Do we need the mylar?

Quote Originally Posted by philipus View Post
    Well I've always just bought what's sold at a normal arts and crafts store in town. It's definitely nothing special and very inexpensive. I think the one I used most recently was 10 microns thick of that helps. Anything will work as long as it's clear and fully transparent.

I forgot to say earlier that it's not necessary to tape the sides of the OH film. The Kami fluid will keep the film in place.

Here's an article I wrote a while back about my scanning and postprocessing workflow which describes it.

https://philipus.com/my-workflow

Good luck
    Philip
    Philip,

Thanks for the response and the link to your article. I also glanced at your other articles. I look forward to reading them soon. I also noticed you have a Hasselblad 203. So do I, though I don't use it as much as I should.

Thanks a lot, I hope you find them useful. Yes the 203 is a terrific camera I think, very capable and fun to use.

Good luck with the wet mounting.

Quote Originally Posted by mitrajoon View Post
    Philip,

Thanks for the response and the link to your article. I also glanced at your other articles. I look forward to reading them soon. I also noticed you have a Hasselblad 203. So do I, though I don't use it as much as I should.
    philipus.com
    Film is Photography

The thickness of the mylar might not be as much of an issue for flatbed scanners as you're not scanning through the mylar. The .004 C-42 IS optically clear and shows no trace of anything even scanned at 8000 ppi. Are the thicker mylars of similar optical quality? I don't know as I've never seen them. If there are any imperfections the greater depth of field of flatbeds as compared to drum scanners could be an issue.

For the record, Mylar is often generically used to refer to polyester film or plastic sheet. However, it is also a registered trademark owned by Dupont.
    https://www.grafixplastics.com/grafi...aq/mylar_what/

I have used both Mylar® as well as other generic clear polyester and optical quality polyester for scanning with flatbed and drum scanners, and as a protective sheet in contact printing with several alternative printing processes. They both work equally well for these applications, but thickness might work better with one application than another. Also, some clear polyester films have coating that blocks UV, which might be of interest to some.

To avoid the unexpected I normally use a brand of clear polyester sold by Dick Blick as DuraLar, which comes in wide variety of sheet and roll sizes. https://www.grafixarts.com/products/dura-lar-film/

However, even with Dura-Lar there are many variations of type so always test for your purpose.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon