Thread: Portriga Rapid for Lith printing

Portriga Rapid for Lith printing

A while back did some Lith print testing with processing Portriga-Rapid in very dilute (vintage) Kodalith A & B developer. The relatively large cube containers of Kodalith liquid developers dated back to probably the 1980s, but still worked out fine after a good bit of testing. Kept detailed notes on different dilutions, processing temps, amount of over-exposure, negatives used, etc.

So wanted to continue this process this weekend and discovered that I misplaced the box of final prints along with my notes.... Anyone have any advice on processing Portriga-Rapid in either Arista Lith Developer Part A & B 1:24, or in really diluted Kodalith A & B developer?

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lith.jpg  
    Last edited by Greg; 8-Apr-2020 at 15:06. Reason: added image

Re: Portriga Rapid for Lith printing

No help from me as I've never tried Lith...but I do have a bit of "old stock" Portriga Rapid on hand - so will be checking back here frequently! Absolutely loved this paper back in the day, and have not been able to bring myself to toss it. And now...I the prospect of giving it a second chance very exciting!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Great for carbon printing.

Follow up after 3 darkroom sessions:

Developer: Arista Liquid Lith Dev A+B. Bottle recommends diluting 1:24 for Lith printing. Found 1:24 to be way too weak. Tried 1:8 and it was too strong. Settled on 1:11 which gave me excellent results.

Portriga Rapid FB: Easily needed 10 times normal exposure. Tried grades 1,2, and 3. Prints took about 4-5 minutes in the developer. Interesting that the print almost stopped developing out after 5 minutes. Using a negative with normal contrast and density for enlarging on Grade 2, Grade 3 worked out the best for Lith.

In the coming days will be shooting more 120 FP-4 plus negatives and developing 150%-200% my N developing time. Next time have to contact print some of my negatives that I had made for Salt printing

Attached image of Lith print to original post.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    No help from me as I've never tried Lith...but I do have a bit of "old stock" Portriga Rapid on hand - so will be checking back here frequently! Absolutely loved this paper back in the day, and have not been able to bring myself to toss it. And now...I the prospect of giving it a second chance very exciting!
    Well gosh, by a strange coincidence I have a trash receptacle with just the right dimensions for Portriga Rapid...
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Great for carbon printing.
    Just tried you website link and got a strange message that someone might be trying to hijack you site

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Berry View Post
    Just tried you website link and got a strange message that someone might be trying to hijack you site
    John, my site is under construction. My son is redoing it for me. Thanks for the heads up though.