Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Film availability in India?

Charles S

Re: Film availability in India?

Quote Originally Posted by Exploring Large Format View Post
    Yes, courtesy translates around the world.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I had a bad experience with this with handchecking my being refused in BOM and VNS for my 4x5 kit, resulting in fogged Tmax400, while the Foma100 did not have issues.
    And, yes, I was polite and patient to no avail.

More here: https://www.charles-s.com/varanasi-w...format-camera/

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charles S View Post
    I had a bad experience with this with handchecking my being refused in BOM and VNS for my 4x5 kit, resulting in fogged Tmax400, while the Foma100 did not have issues.
    And, yes, I was polite and patient to no avail.

More here: https://www.charles-s.com/varanasi-w...format-camera/
    You're right, courtesy is not always enough. My experience is that some of the security personnel are low level without any independent ability to make judgements. It can be super frustrating. Also, a part of India that must be accounted for to enjoy.

Once, I got a real lesson on courtesy there. I thought I was being wrongly accused at Indian security of carrying a contraband Swiss Army knife. I grew indignant--an indignant me is not pretty!--and the agent let me have it right back. Turns out, I'd forgotten that I was carrying our child's luggage...and their knife. Guilty as charged, and now it is family lore that gets retold every time we enter security. Sheez!

Your travel with large format insights from your post are super helpful. Made my mind up then and there on the Crown Graphic. Thanks!

Fabulous portraits!! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by rajivk View Post
    This is the online webpage for Prabhu Photos in Bangalore https://filmfotostore.com/product-category/films/
    I think I'll carry it on. I checked on Amazon.in for HP5+, and it is available for about $125 USD. I believe that price is partly due to my logging in from the U.S. Perhaps it is cheaper if I ordered once I arrived in Bangalore? Didn't see 4x5 on the Prabhu website, but I'll check around in Bangalore shops when I arrive...post Coronavirus.

In any event, I'm going with risking security and doing carry on. Thanks for the tips!

Thanks to all. I am not going to India; I was inquiring for my colleagues there and have posted some of your info for them.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Exploring Large Format View Post
    I'd be very interested in B&W 4X5 availability in Bangalore. Our early April trip to visit my wife's folks is cancelled due to virus issues. As they are aging, it's troubling. But we will go when we can, and I'd love to capture them on 4x5! I've traveled many times there--amazing country and people!--the last couple of years carrying Instant film in my carry-on. Very challenging to prevent multiple X-Ray exposures to film I've found. Thanks!
    Arvind Kumar of Eastern Photographic Co, New Delhi can help you with Ilford 4x5 films. Alternatively, if your wife's folks have a permanent postal address in Bangalore, you can get 4x5 film shipped to them by an international seller. There are some eBay sellers from Hong Kong who ship Shanghai GP3 film and shipping is either free or nominal.

Quote Originally Posted by Raghu Kuvempunagar View Post
    Arvind Kumar of Eastern Photographic Co, New Delhi can help you with Ilford 4x5 films. Alternatively, if your wife's folks have a permanent postal address in Bangalore, you can get 4x5 film shipped to them by an international seller. There are some eBay sellers from Hong Kong who ship Shanghai GP3 film and shipping is either free or nominal.
    Perfect. Now to just get this virus in the rear view mirror for us all!

Quote Originally Posted by Raghu Kuvempunagar View Post
    Thanks, Raghu!