Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Film availability in India?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Purcellville, VA
    Posts
    576

    Film availability in India?

    A few company colleagues in India indicate that film and processing are hard to come by there, and my initial check seems to confirm this. And, I saw a price for a roll of 135-36 Kodak color neg just shy of $9. Film from the online giants is reportedly also expensive. It would appear that the film rebound we see in the US and Europe is yet to find its way to that part of the world.

    Anyone have a reading on what films and formats may be available and where? Or, perhaps, in Australia?
    Philip U.

    Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nara, Japan
    Posts
    1,110

    Re: Film availability in India?

    Which format? It is very difficult to find film in India now, though 35mm might be easier. If you indicate where you intend traveling, I can tell you which shops might have stocks. I have regular customers in India and Australia for Fuji film, so that is also an option.

    Kumar

  3. #3
    Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    61

    Re: Film availability in India?

    Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Which format? It is very difficult to find film in India now, though 35mm might be easier. If you indicate where you intend traveling, I can tell you which shops might have stocks. I have regular customers in India and Australia for Fuji film, so that is also an option.

    Kumar
    I'd be very interested in B&W 4X5 availability in Bangalore. Our early April trip to visit my wife's folks is cancelled due to virus issues. As they are aging, it's troubling. But we will go when we can, and I'd love to capture them on 4x5! I've traveled many times there--amazing country and people!--the last couple of years carrying Instant film in my carry-on. Very challenging to prevent multiple X-Ray exposures to film I've found. Thanks!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nara, Japan
    Posts
    1,110

    Re: Film availability in India?

    4x5 is difficult in India. But let me confirm.
    I used to ship Acros regularly to India, but FP4 and TMax were available in the metros.

    Kumar

  5. #5
    Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    61

    Re: Film availability in India?

    Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    4x5 is difficult in India. But let me confirm.
    I used to ship Acros regularly to India, but FP4 and TMax were available in the metros.

    Kumar
    Got it. and if I shipped film ahead to my inlaws, it should be ok, yes? No destructive scans?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nara, Japan
    Posts
    1,110

    Re: Film availability in India?

    If you ship the film, customs duty will have to be paid, so you should factor that into the cost. None of my customers have reported any issues with X-ray scanning.

    If you carry the film yourself, there will be no question of duty, unless you are carrying a very large quantity. It is possible to ask for hand checking, making sure to get to the airport well in time and being polite.

    Kumar

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    new delhi, india
    Posts
    3

    Re: Film availability in India?

    Ilford film is often available in some of the big metros because India has a local distributor/dealer - https://www.srishtidigilife.co.in/ . But large format film for some reason is very expensive. Also shipping film into India has become very expensive with customs duty plus GST being over 40 percent. Best bet is to carry film if the airports you are going through are film friendly.

    Rajiv

  8. #8
    Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    61

    Re: Film availability in India?

    Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    If you ship the film, customs duty will have to be paid, so you should factor that into the cost. None of my customers have reported any issues with X-ray scanning.

    If you carry the film yourself, there will be no question of duty, unless you are carrying a very large quantity. It is possible to ask for hand checking, making sure to get to the airport well in time and being polite.

    Kumar
    Yes, courtesy translates around the world.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nara, Japan
    Posts
    1,110

    Re: Film availability in India?

    Prabhu Photos in Bangalore sells film - not sure about brands or formats.

    Kumar

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    new delhi, india
    Posts
    3

    Re: Film availability in India?

    Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Prabhu Photos in Bangalore sells film - not sure about brands or formats.

    Kumar
    This is the online webpage for Prabhu Photos in Bangalore https://filmfotostore.com/product-category/films/

Similar Threads

  1. INDIA - where to buy 4x5 film in Delhi and Mumbai
    By mortensen in forum Location & Travel
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 2-Jan-2011, 11:27
  2. Availability of 5x7 film
    By r.e. in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 29-Sep-2009, 19:09
  3. Film Availability?
    By Momentz in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2007, 17:01
  4. film availability
    By kent behrens in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2004, 07:55
  5. 5x7 T Max Film Availability
    By Michael Kadillak in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 31-Aug-2000, 17:44

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •