Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fidelity elite 8x10 film holder question

Re: Fidelity elite 8x10 film holder question

I have a dozen of those 8x10 holders, purchased brand new 22 years ago at Calumet, selected from a much larger number in the store after depth checking all of them. Every one has always bulged like that when not held tight by a camera's spring back. It's perfectly normal.

What you do need to do is make certain your thumb applies pressure to the ground glass frame at the holder's flap end when removing/inserting dark slides. If you don't, that's where light leaks will occur, not at the slide insertion end.

Drew Wiley

I have never had a holder do that. All of mine, themselves all Fidelity and Lisco plastic ones, whether 4x5 or 8x10, are all consistently flat after all these years of outdoor use. Seems like that one might have been warped by once being once left under hot sun. I'd be suspicious of it unless testing it for light-proofness first. It might be fine; but having never tried something like that, I'm not going to hazard a guess. Wood isn't better; it will warp too if irresponsibly subjected to the elements. And what the heck is a "box", Jim. Something additional besides a bear barrel that has to be strapped to a big pack that "seems" to get heavier every year? But I do use white bubble-wrap pouches and foil bags that keep the holders cool in transport, and use a well-insulated picnic box for holders left in the truck. Just common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I think it spent too much time in a hot car trunk and got warped...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I refuse to use ANY PLASTIC 8x10 holders. All I have ever seen eventually warped...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ...Seems like that one might have been warped by once being once left under hot sun...
    Take a closer look at the OP's photo. There's no "warping" involved here. Fidelity holders of that vintage (mine included) are simply not very rigid in the rib area. They bulge from light trap spring pressure when not constrained by the ground glass back of a camera. They don't leak through the slots when dark slides are in the slots. They don't leak through the slots when dark slides are removed/inserted when the holder's in a camera back. There's not a thing wrong with or unusual about them.

Clement will waste a lot of time and effort if he tries to "rectify" his non problem.

Drew Wiley

Thanks for clarifying that. There have been minor manufacturing changes over time, including, during my own purchase history, going from stiffer ABS darkslides to more flexible poly ones. But the inner septum is quite stiff regardless, at least in all of mine. I've never personally had a light leak except with one particular Mido holder, which is an entirely different kind of animal.

Thank all very much for your view on this issue !
    I wasn't expecting so many answers.

Given Mr. Santamaura's opinion and experience with this, I tend to think I'll keep it as is.
    Also because the holder looks and feels pristine apart from that. The dark slides behave smoothly, the flaps at the bottom seems ok, and everything else looks good.

But I'll do a 8x10 paper test tomorrow, also to see if the rails do their job maintaining the photo material in place, as suggested Mr. Kasaian.

Thank you all again !

P.S. : oh and :
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian
    What are those "protective plates" you speak of?
    Simply dark slides haha, I just forgot the english term. Thank you for reminding it to me !

Likely preaching to the choir here...but regardless of any actual issues possibly relating to slightly curved holders, its likely best to store them flat - and back to front so they are evenly supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Apffel View Post
    ...I'll do a 8x10 paper test tomorrow, also to see if the rails do their job maintaining the photo material in place...
    Generally, 8x10 paper is eight by ten inches. Film identified as "8x10" is not; it's about 3mm smaller in each direction. If you don't trim the paper, it will likely be difficult to slide into (and/or out of) the holder.

I have a few holders that are like that. I too was concerned but all was good after I checked them with xray film.

Just proceeded with the paper test. Loaded the holder and I forgot it 3 hours in my conservatory. On a table in plain sunlight, white walls, very bright environment. Changed its position a couple of times as advised.
    The paper came out white as snow. Compared it with a piece of paper developed "out of the box" to compare white density.
    It is the same visually.

Now I can't wait to receive my 8x10 camera to expose some film !

Thank you all again for the tips and insights.

Good news!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White