Thread: Cheap press-on filter thread adapter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cheap press-on filter thread adapter

I recently bought a 19” artar and I can’t find a step-up ring that fits it. Being a process lens maybe it doesn’t exist. Anyway, that’s beside the point because I made a perfectly serviceable and cheap adapter.

I got out the calipers and measured the OD of the front of the lens barrel at 62mm.

Off to B&H.

I bought a plastic press-for lens cap like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...sh-On_Lens_Cap

And a step up ring from the same diameter I measured to the diameter I want to adapt to, like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...m_Step-Up_Ring

Then it’s just a matter of using an exacto knife to carefully cut the disc from the end of the lenscap. The male threads will then fit perfectly into the plastic band that will slip onto your lens.

I used a bit of epoxy to mate the two parts together and for $12.15 I have a perfectly useable, not very elegant slip-on filter adapter. I blush to think what SK Grimes asks for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Re: Cheap press-on filter thread adapter

Great idea for older lenses. Thank you! Not elegant, but workable and cost-effective. The only potential problem is that I've found it difficult on occasion to find snuggly fitting lens caps for some older lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Kashi View Post
    Great idea for older lenses. Thank you! Not elegant, but workable and cost-effective. The only potential problem is that I've found it difficult on occasion to find snuggly fitting lens caps for some older lenses.
    The plastic is pretty pliable. You could probably just drop 1mm size and get it. Or go up another mm size, to about 2mm larger than measured, and put a strip of fuzzy velcro around the band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

(Shrek)

I have used step-up rings also, but I glue them onto LUC shutters.