Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo travel by vehicle, what's your favorite?

Re: Photo travel by vehicle, what's your favorite?

I've always needed 4wd since I spend a lot of time camping in the backcountry and driving off-road or on jeep-only trails.

Here's my current ride, a Nissan Xterra:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	201664

It has a truck frame, not unibody construction, is small enough but, with the rooftop carrier, holds enough for extended trips away from civilization (a couple months at a time sometimes) plus 10 gallons of gasoline. All the camping gear (5 sleeping bags, two tents, etc.) goes in the rooftop carrier. Two cameras, two tripods, 50 filmholders, lenses, etc., etc. ride behind the driver's seat.

It's served me well since 2008.

Doremus

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Stuck in the American Coronavirus Epicenter of Seattle on a dreary day, I've been dreaming of this very thing.

My plan is to convert my cyclo-touring bicycle (fat tires, proper fenders, comfortable and elegant from my previous passion of Randonneuring) into a Portrait-Cycle. I have classic low-riding panniers straddling the front wheel that will accommodate a Crown Graphic and an Intrepid 4X5 with all the extras. Then, partly for utility, partly for fanfare and spectacle, I'm considering a trailer that will support a light stand with strobe and modifier for fill lighting. Maybe a backdrop, but I doubt it.

With instant film before I jumped to LF, I enjoyed trading instant pics with strangers for interviews and quotations. I found last week that seeking wiling subjects with a goofy-looking LF camera (the Crown), the charm factor, and therefore the portrait subject relaxation factor, only increased. By adding a bicycle with a light stand-hauling trailer I am certain to relax a few faces. And Seattle--and most of us--could use a bit of that now.

Some call Alki Beach near where I live "Seattle's Venice Beach", so characters abound. If I spy an interesting-looking potential victim, I'll pull alongside and do my thing. That is my daydream.

Stuck in the American Coronavirus Epicenter of Seattle on a dreary day, I've been dreaming of this very thing.

My plan is to convert my cyclo-touring bicycle (fat tires, proper fenders, comfortable and elegant from my previous passion of Randonneuring) into a Portrait-Cycle. I have classic low-riding panniers straddling the front wheel that will accommodate a Crown Graphic and an Intrepid 4X5 with all the extras. Then, partly for utility, partly for fanfare and spectacle, I'm considering a trailer that will support a light stand with strobe and modifier for fill lighting. Maybe a backdrop, but I doubt it.

With instant film before I jumped to LF, I enjoyed trading instant pics with strangers for interviews and quotations. I found last week that seeking wiling subjects with a goofy-looking LF camera (the Crown), the charm factor, and therefore the portrait subject relaxation factor, only increased. By adding a bicycle with a light stand-hauling trailer I am certain to relax a few faces. And Seattle--and most of us--could use a bit of that now.

Some call Alki Beach near where I live "Seattle's Venice Beach", so characters abound. If I spy an interesting-looking potential victim, I'll pull alongside and do my thing. That is my daydream.

Perhaps get a Cycle Camera! https://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Rochester/

I have 4 of them, very lightweight, got a Postcard version coming next week.

I pull this trailer, now with https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-quick-eplus

I am 70 and my fancy 'real' bikes are hung up and ready for my Draft age grandsons when they visit...
    Tin Can

I finally had to give up my various motor homes and resort to motels. My children don't like for me to drive long trips alone so one of m sons in law flies down and drives me., Getting old is a complete PIA.

Awesome! Now why were they called Cycle Cameras?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Because bicycles went big time in 1895 and many were riding them with lightweight cameras.

https://bikehistory.org/history/1895-1900.html
    Tin Can

Got it. I figured, but thought maybe it referred to some action of the camera.

Tin Can

Yes I do-- magical indeed--but no I won't. Still working on proper exposures, processing. About to make my first print. I'll stick to the camera on a cyle, but thanks!