Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo travel by vehicle, what's your favorite?

Les

Re: Photo travel by vehicle, what's your favorite?

I was camping in No BC and someone had the Transit...we talked about it. Nice vehicle. My preference, at least at this point, itwould be Pacifica and it gives something around 28MPG. But, after installing a larger (not huge) shell, my older Dakota is still v.functional....even at 18MPG. The shell is roomy and it would allow me to sit in it and have a cup of coffee or even a meal (besides sleeping space). The rear door flips up (sort of like the teardrop camper) and it's enough to protect one from elements while cooking, etc. Maybe not state of the art, but reasonable in cost.

Les

Mazda CX-5 for now, enough room to sleep in the back with the seats folded down, and good on gas.
    Quite a powerful car, too, handles like a sports car.
    My wife and I have driven in it twice from Ottawa to Vegas, about 2600 miles each way.
    Would love to get one of those Mercedes vans and outfit it for sleeping and eating in.

2004 Rialta: Small RV that you could park in a normal parking space and easily go through a drive-through. When used as a Photo vehicle, I used the closet to hold my photo equipment "out of view". Always kept a really cheap cooler and some miscellaneous things in the back so the inside didn't look to be completely clear. Used it at night for processing at times. By no means an off the road vehicle, but drove fine down many a dirt road. Equipped it to most of the time access the Internet. The table made a great office space to work on. Got a descent 20mpg on the highway. In the late fall and early spring having interior heat over night was a down right pleasure, to say nothing of having a bathroom and a shower at the end of a hot summer's day.

2018 Ford Transit Connect Camper

I purchased my 2018 Ford TC new and then had it professionally converted into a camper by a custom shop in Deland, FL. Because I did not know if I really wanted a larger van, I decided on this size and glad I did. I wanted as many windows as possible and the rear liftgate style door, thus I purchased the wagon model. I did not want a whole lot of stuff (this is a mini van), but I do have the essentials: bed, refrigerator, table, shore power, max air fan, portable air conditioner and heater, portable lithium batteries and solar panels, and the most important of all: storage. I have storage under part of the floor, under the bed, a gear cabinet designed with the table, and overhead cabinets. If I watch my driving speed, I can get up to 30 mpg. I mostly stay in state parks with electrical hook-up and showers. I am glad I made the decision for this smaller size. Because my boyfriend has back problems, he insists on staying in hotel rooms when we travel together. If he ever changes his mind, it would definitely be a bigger van with a pop-top. But the TC was purchased and designed to be my photography travel camper, and this it is!
    Last edited by darr; 12-Mar-2020 at 21:36. Reason: updated windows and doors

If there is anywhere we can't reach with either of our Subarus (Forester, Crosstrek), then we probably should not be going 8-) I did enough backpacking and bicycle camping in an earlier life, so now I do my bit to keep motel chains solvent.

As a Brit, I do like how the 'Transit' name has come back with Ford.

Some of the more off-beat roads in Death Valley that would be nice to get to, and the further out one goes, camping becomes less restricted...but the Eurovan can only go so far...not as far as my old air-cooled bug and bus. Most likely I will continue to find places just off the sort-of-main-road where I can wander awhile on foot with the camera and skip the 4x4.

I guess I did so much camping and backpacking (along with one long bicycle tour, 2 summers backpacking along a river counting fish, and 10 summers packing mules and fixing trails), that my van anywhere still seems like a luxury.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I agree, the 1967 and before 'Splitty' VW Bus is the best on and off road vehicle for comfort, room and reliability.

It has great traction, the gear reduction axles gives it high ground clearance, adding a steering brake does wonders.

A very sturdy simple thing. I had 3 Splitties, carefully driven they can go to amazing places.

However, they are all now collectable and way too valuable to risk in adventure use.

Modern variations are too fragile, too complex...

I now drive a 2WD F150 as 4WD just gets me stuck too far out in the back and beyond.

and my F150 V6 Twin Turbo gets far better MPG than any VW Bus I have owned, total 7. Here's the last 2 from 2009 and 1999. The white one was better.

71 Halifax Bus by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

1964 NOT ART BUS Type II by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

My current rig from 2017. At first I wanted a Sprinter or big Transit van, to roam North America.

But realized if a modern van breaks down for any reason, it can take a long time to fix even on warranty and I would lose my camper/home.

A trailer can be moved anywhere and still used for home, while 'Waiting for Godot'.

2 machines works better for me.

I always carry titles, when off traveling, so I can sell the 'stuff' asap if necessary. Did that once with a 1971 Triumph 750 in Oregon, when I got tired of riding it. Then bought a $400 VW Bus in Phoenix...fixed it and drove on...

F150 and Legend Trailer by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Last one for a bit

Here's my rig DAY OF 9/11, almost in Canada. I had left the trailer in MN for a night in Thunder Bay, where I woke up to 911 and got back to my Avion trailer asap, as the border was closing as I crossed.

At that time I considered never going home as I had everything I needed. I now know I made the wrong decision...

1-TIN CAN COLLEGE by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I could use a good wench every now and then.

Kent in SD
    So could we all

(Once a class clown........)