Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Photo travel by vehicle, what's your favorite?

Re: Photo travel by vehicle, what's your favorite?

My brother had a HS 'friend' 40 years ago, landscaper/drug dealer, always a big talker, with $$$ to burn, wealthy parents

He begged brother to let him park his broken UniMog on the lawn, it never moved for 20 years and was towed both ways on a flatbed

No parts

I think 'Paul' went to prison, never liked the scammer
    Tin Can

I wish we got the Land Cruisers here Toyota sells in the rest of the world.

Drew Wiley

Land Cruisers are common around here, but the dolled-up luxury SUV kind, which never leave suburban pavement. Don't look anything like the ones I remember mountain folk using.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    When I drove my wife's 2018 Subaru Forester (manual trans, thank goodness!) to our local dealership for scheduled service recently, I borrowed a loaner for the day - which happened to be the latest model of Outback. Upon getting the new car out onto the highway, I began to notice that the car had a mind of its own - jerking the steering wheel this way and that...felt downright dangerous!

Long story short, I managed to pull off into a rest area, and figured out how to disarm the "safety driver assist" function...thank goodness!

But truly, I simply do not understand how these new features can purport to make vehicles "safer." Seems to me the more features added to insulate drivers from the act of driving will only make folks who utilize these features worse (less safe) drivers!
    Completely agree. Try driving one of those things through construction zones with temporary traffic barriers and striping. The car thinks it's smarter than the driver and is seemingly happy to steer you directly into a traffic barrier...or worse, a flagger.

Land Cruisers are popular here, but they are the 150 models, which are somewhat fancy, not the ones you get in the US. I think their closest comparison is the 4Runner...they might even been the same model for different markets. They start at over 100,000 dollars here, but that is just par for the course in Iceland, as cars tend to cost double or more what they do in the US...

Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    There are always a number of German/Swiss/Italian survivalists/tourists who drive those unimogs onto the ferry to Iceland and wind up here. I passed several today. I always find them a bit funny, but they probably are the perfect way to see the country without needing to stay in a hotel. No typical caravan can handle the backroads here, let alone the highlands. Still, I can only imagine the fuel consumption they must have, as well as the environmental impact...
    We spent a couple of months in Iceland and concur with you, they really are a more comfortable and more affordable way to travel around Iceland and virtually indispensable in the interior. Their large diameter tyres, approximately 1m to 1.2m high depending upon which size they are equipped with make it possible, along with their portal axles. The super single wheels and tyres on Mercedes Sprinter vehicles in Iceland we saw are quite unbelievable; until you see where they are going. Fuel consumption is dependent upon how you drive them to an extent and the terrain. Our truck cruises along around 18 l/100 on the highway, 16 l/100 in dirt and 25 l/100 in sand and difficult stuff. Unimogs are slightly heavier the bigger they are, but many are quite frugal compared to a Landcruiser and a caravan combination.

This clip, and another that follows, shows the type of terrain in the interior and not so interior. It is a Unimog pulling out a Defender from a normal river in iceland. Literally squillions like this there.

The real problem for these vehicles is their height and bulk, they are usually around 3.2m to 3.5m in height and combine this with normal winds of 20ms and things are starting to get iffy. If you get caught somewhere when the wind picks up with winds up and above 30ms its best to find somewhere to hide. We had winds around 35ms with peak gusts to 45ms and couldn't open the car door to retrieve stuff, and that was the with the vehicle parked somewhere safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrUG2yYLv_c

And this one is the Unimog crossing the river, not easy, but not hard. Going on the model of the Unimog I guestimate the living module at something like 4.5m in length

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0asYPH_Q2wY

Mick.

Tin Can