Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo travel by vehicle, what's your favorite?

Re: Photo travel by vehicle, what's your favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    The VW Type II Great bus - my primary transport ('70 model) for years -but you are not going to get anywhere fast.
    You must learn to wait and allow your destination to come to you.

Yes!

and whenever driving one, I am on 'Vacation' in no hurry, I pull over and wave the angry past, especially uphill in mountains

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    You must learn to wait and allow your destination to come to you.
    Tin Can

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    One reason to use a 1970s VW type 2 van, all parts are readily available via 2 day USPS Priority mail. Unfortunately a type 2 VW in reasonable condition goes for 10K+ out here in Connecticut.
    I paid $1000 3 years ago for my current Pontiac Montana. The parts that would most often make it not go are available from pretty much every car parts store and scrap yard in the country. This is my 3rd or 4th, I know them inside out and backwards and I can do most repairs in less than 1hr. The only downside is that it does consume more gas than some of the newer and fancier work vans. Would I prefer to be driving the Mercedes? Honestly no, not even if I had the money to throw at it.

A number of my past photo trips out west were done with an F-150 (driven from back east) with leer cap and raised suspension. Great vehicle for almost anything out there. Then again, sometimes flying out and renting...whatever. I think of our tragicomedy in a rented Chevy Lumina racing a rainstorm through the narrows of Titus Canyon - being confronted by a washout right where a family had been caught out (with fatalities) the previous month.

Here in New England...my wife's Subaru Forester is basically the perfect vehicle for the broadest range of what the weather throws at us here. Good "grab an go" trunk-bed logistics also.

My very favorite vehicle...at least when the weather isn't too horrible is (don't laugh...well maybe go ahead and laugh) my 1987 Porsche 944, whose large rear hatch size/storage capacity/layout/deck height, to say nothing of the car's small size, great handling (never boring!) and great 360 degree visibility, makes this car the absolute easiest I've ever worked out of. Then again...it did conk out (dead fuel pump) last fall near the Canadian border. But I had planned to rebuild the engine (now in pieces in my basement) anyway, so all is good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87 944 - Stranded.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	201776 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	944 Bare Block.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	201777 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87NA Pistons.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	201778 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87NA Cylinder Head:Cam Housing.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	201779

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Our engine test team modified and ran a French Fry Oil VW Diesel for years

I could smell his car way back in rush hour Chicago traffic
    , he lived in Wisconsin

He commuted 200 miles a day in all weather, we had 2 fuel tanks, a small Diesel tank to start it and a larger FF one to run on

Plus 2 heaters for FF Oil. He used to fill up at McDonalds, really

Lots of filters, and many piston ring replacements, as it would lose compression with glazed cylinder walls and NOT start...

Also very illegal to NOT pay Road Tax

The engineer got it all for free, I hated the dern thing, so many valves, solenoids, extra plumbing, and dirty

New Diesels seem to need additives, no thanks

Read this, Piled Up in Huge Lots, Volkswagen’s Reworked Diesels Trickle to Buyers https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/b...i-resales.html
    A friend did the veggie oil conversion and found it worked well for him. Got waste oil from a few restaurants and used it, doing the straining and whatnot himself. Did discover one oil never to be used again - when he got a 55 gallon barrel from a seafood restaurant. For a month or more you could smell it and seemed as if every cat within 20 miles would follow that VW around.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Marco Fantin

My favorite is the bicycle ;p.

My Youtube Channel - Darkroom and large format tutorials

Definitely a lower carbon foot print that my photo vehicle, which I mentioned in post #6. I have been tempted to get a bicycle trailer, as I really don’t want to give up the big Ries.

Roger

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Definitely a lower carbon foot print that my photo vehicle, which I mentioned in post #6. I have been tempted to get a bicycle trailer, as I really don’t want to give up the big Ries.

Roger
    Be careful with the shaking if you have old lenses. I don't have hard evidence, but since when I started to take my lens on the bike two of them started to show issues (an older Dagor and perhaps also a Fujinon). I think they were due for a CLA and the increased shaking might have accelerated the decay. Maybe it is just a coincidence.
    My Youtube Channel - Darkroom and large format tutorials

marcookie, I’ll keep that in mind. One trailer that I was looking at has a suspension and shock absorber. Also if I do end up cycling with a trailer it will be pretty tame.

Roger

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    A friend did the veggie oil conversion and found it worked well for him. Got waste oil from a few restaurants and used it, doing the straining and whatnot himself. Did discover one oil never to be used again - when he got a 55 gallon barrel from a seafood restaurant. For a month or more you could smell it and seemed as if every cat within 20 miles would follow that VW around.
    I briefly owned a 1984 (?) Toyota Landcruiser the previous owner had run on bio diesel, sourced from local french fry joints. 6 months in the smell was still quite noticeable, but not overpowering.