Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Photo travel by vehicle, what's your favorite?

Re: Photo travel by vehicle, what's your favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    a series of VW Camper Vans, then a Ram Charger, then a Toyota Tacoma 4x4, then a Toyota Highlander to currently Jan Pietrzak's GMC Yukon which he gave me as he was dying. The Yukon is my sentimental favourite by far. The Tacoma is the best vehicle I ever owned.
    Toyotas don't quit. There's the video of the those car dudes that tried to kill a Hylux and couldn't
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Toyotas don't quit. There's the video of the those car dudes that tried to kill a Hylux and couldn't
    Yeah mine was t-boned and totaled. I should have bought another one but the Highlander dropped in my lap. It was a Great car too. Both went 200k with only brakes, spark plugs and front struts.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Drew Wiley

Tin Can - the 33's I remember were sitting around inside a true adobe house for morning break sipping ice tea with the cowboys as the day began to heat up, listening to mandatory Loretta Lynn recordings. We began work at 4 AM, and often worked till almost midnight. Long summer days. The only allowable vehicle was either a half-broken wild mustang, or a mule train. There was also a big flatbed truck we'd haul hay bales up into the mountains with, sometimes going only 2mph up steep one-lane grades. But you could have built your own hay fort replete with darkroom inside that pile, just as long as you didn't mind bit of hay and horse manure in all your gear and images as well. At least it would be authentic, and not Photoshopped. From what I've seen, a lot of people do use a manure app these days.

Drew Wiley

More on point, I certainly wouldn't call Tacomas foolproof. They do have an excellent reputation, and people routinely offer to buy mine, dents n' all. Mine was built in the Fremont CA New United Motors plant, which is now owned by Elon Musk and cranking out Teslas instead. Allegedly these were better made than import Tacomas. Mine has been pretty much all been rebuilt bit by bit, and let's see if it lives another 200,000 miles. Extended cab, so lots of gear room behind the seats; but that makes it a bit too long for serious 4WD routes. But I've gotten down some pretty rough tracks, or through swollen streams and deep snow, that would defeat any ordinary pickup. I have a shell on top making it a suitable sleeping space.

I really hate newer vehicles with all their distracting airplane cockpit style electronics nonsense. And I enjoy a traditional stick shift. It makes driving fun rather than boring.

I have had a Land Rover Discovery 4 for the last five years, and I absolutely love it. I live in the countryside in Iceland, and once I switched to studded tires in the winter, I have never gotten stuck despite terrible conditions. (Before I got them, I slid backwards down a mountain until I hit a snowbank. I got out to lower the air pressure in the tires and literally could not stand it was so slippery. I had to hold onto the car just to reach the wheels to lower the pressure. I was able to get out and get back to an area where I was safer. Studded tires are not necessary in most places anymore, but here they really do make a difference).
    I mostly drive it with the rear seats folded down and have a ton of gear in the back. It can go nearly anywhere, drives like a dream, gets decent mileage (it is a diesel) and can fit all your belongings. You can see extremely well out of it, unlike the newer models or new Defender, and overall, it has been pretty reliable for me. Clearly not reliable like a Toyota, but it also doesn't feel like one. I love mine...two photos I found. One from the highlands a few years ago, and one from last weekend...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65049529388__F8DE5A1B-F7F1-43C0-9EE6-3976F9A02262.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	218801
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rock-city-1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	218802

Love the top image
    Tin Can

Thank you! I photographed the building on 8x10 e6...hope to develop it tonight or tomorrow...looking forward to seeing if it worked.

Drew Wiley

Alas, Iceland, a place I would sure like to visit sometime, windy or not. I'd probably bring both a 4x5 folder and a 6X9 RF. Both easily fit into a regulation carry-on, replete with CF tripod.

In the late '90's through 2006...I made eight trips to Ethiopia where I made photos and videos for a foundation. Travelled through all the provinces and through some very beautiful and rugged country. My favorite mode of transport there was to stand up in the bed of a Toyota Hilux, hanging on to the roll bar. Many of our routes would not come close to being called "roads" - and what was truly amazing is the hours upon hours of pounding those little trucks could take - just unbelievable!

Sounds wonderful John!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    In the late '90's through 2006...I made eight trips to Ethiopia where I made photos and videos for a foundation. Travelled through all the provinces and through some very beautiful and rugged country. My favorite mode of transport there was to stand up in the bed of a Toyota Hilux, hanging on to the roll bar. Many of our routes would not come close to being called "roads" - and what was truly amazing is the hours upon hours of pounding those little trucks could take - just unbelievable!
    Tin Can