Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo travel by vehicle, what's your favorite?

Eric Woodbury

Photo travel by vehicle, what's your favorite?

I've always preferred photo expeditions by auto. My first was a station wagon. Then a couple 1971 VW vans. After that a 1983 Ford Econoline. This was safer, more powerful, and whole family friendly. Now I have a 2004 Ford Econoline E350. I had it modified with nice seats for the kids, a pop-top so it could sleep four.

Alas, we are not four any more. Kids have moved on, I'm retired and travel sometimes alone. At 14 mpg, the Econoline is too big of a footprint, both in carbon, dollars, and parking. I'm considering a used Ford Transit CONNECT delivery van. It looks fine for one or two of us.

What are the rest of you using? Likes and dislikes.

Thanks and happy trails,
    -e-

Re: Photo travel by vehicle, what's your favorite?

I have the Ford Transit connect. It's an unassuming work van that's not questioned wherever it goes, even trespassing. It has the front seat comfort of a refined minivan. I get about 26 or 27 mpg. I do use it for work and for photography.

Foamer

I've gone from a K2500 to a RAV4 and now a Subaru Forester. I really like it. I need 4WD where I live and the Forester delivers. Plenty of room, comfortable, maneuverable, reliable.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SubaruWaubayM.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

John Olsen

Ditto on the Subaru Forester, ours is a real trooper even in deep snow. However, a few years ago I decided I wanted to sleep in my vehicle as I got tired of crawling in and out of a tent. I got a Toyota Tacoma and put a Leer canopy (with raised rear) on the back. With snow tires and 4 wheel drive it's a real expedition vehicle, yet small enough to get down some narrow forest trails, with assistance of my trusty saw. Last month it took me up a couple of icy roads in Eastern WA, turning back only when the drop-off to the side was just too scary. On some trips I carry Speedotron lights, 4x5 equipment and lots of accessories - the carrying capacity is important to me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tacoma2-13.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	201626

Blizzard, Charlotte Pass.

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 16.3cm X 21.3cm,
    from a 4x5 Arista Edu Ultra 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF double extension field view camera fitted with a Nikkor-W 210mm f5.6 lens.
    It is only April and the snows have started. The road out has no snow plough service and if there isn't a break in the weather the car will stay there until September.
    This is not good for an automobile, not even my nice old Subaru Outback that has never failed me. Snow stopped, got out, close call, thanks Soobie.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Seems like the Transit van could be a good choice especially if it’s available with 4 wheel or All wheel drive. Currently I’ve got a Ram 3500 4x4 which is functionally is great but not very economical. Nice thing is that I can have a ton of gear in the truck and still sleep in the back. We also have a Subaru Forester which is very good but can be a little cramped.

Have fun with your search.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 857E708E-C6A4-4148-8F63-40A6D4E899DC.jpeg  

Dodge/Mercedes/White Sprinter vans. Diesel, 24mpg on the highway. Various configurations and easy to convert to campers or whatever. Used market they are no bad at all and drive well. UPS switched to them in our area and cut fuel costs big time when the fuel mileage doubled during deliveries. Gravel and dirt roads in the country and they are holding up well.
    They do have 4x4 versions but expensive. The 2WD normal vans with a winch handle a lot.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    The 2WD normal vans with a winch handle a lot.

I could use a good wench every now and then.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

My mountain bike for 5 months in NZ with the 4x5 was the perfect vehicle for me.

Now my ride is a 2002 Eurovan, Westfalia Weekender. A shorter van/wheelbase by 16" than the full size Eurovan camper. No stove or sink. Great one person photo machine.

But if I was to buy new: https://sportsmobile.com/sportsmobile-4x4/

Customed for sheet film developing up to 8x10, maybe 11x14
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VanGeir.jpg   2002EuroVan.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 12-Mar-2020 at 14:00.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I see more stuff driving it, and I am not tempted to put too much in the trunk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0227-001.jpg