Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harris Tent Storage

Harris Tent Storage

I have had a Harris Tent for changing 8x10 film holders for well over ten years. I like it when I use it. Wish the corner pole holder pockets were shaped a bit different, but over all it works great. I went through a multi year period of shooting much less and haven't done any 8x10 since maybe 2011 though. So haven't used the tent. It has been kept stored rolled up in its bag in the closet. Got it out yesterday to change out some 4x5 shots from a week in Santa Fe.

The rolled up and folded tent was slightly sticky and had a powerful "New-Car" smell. Opened it carefully and set it up OK. Gave it an hour or so to air out and changed my films. Still had an odor, so I left it set up and open over night. Seema a bit better now, but still . . . .

Anyone have a similar experience with a Harris Tent. Recommendations?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Harris Tent Storage

Yes, and always up to avoid the smell and wear. The polyurethane will wear of by movement and probably stickiness. How about some non-stick teflon bake sheets for when you need it packed? And to store it more loose than in its bag?

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Looking for compact styorage and simplicity in my overall workflow. No place to leave it up. Want to avoid fiddling with other stuff to "make-it-work". If thia weara out, I'll go back to a T-shirt sort of changing bag. Folds and stores like a wind breaker and I'll deal with the inconvenience.

I did take it to Santa Fe, but our room only had a postage stamp table and the tent is too bit gor that.

I really like it so . . . .Maybe I'll set up the tent several times a year for a day or so if not used.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I have resorted to installing some hooks in a closet and hanging mine up when it is not in use. I have never had a problem with rolling it and taking in on week long trips for use, but long term storage rolled up with that fabric ends up with the sticky problem. unrolled and hanging works though

Drew, eric's advice is excellent. I have a Harrison tent that is 8 years old that I always store in loosely folded in a mesh bag. So far so good. When I bought my tent the instructions were clear about not storing the tent rolled up for long term storage.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Looking for compact styorage and simplicity in my overall workflow. No place to leave it up. Want to avoid fiddling with other stuff to "make-it-work". If thia weara out, I'll go back to a T-shirt sort of changing bag. Folds and stores like a wind breaker and I'll deal with the inconvenience.

I did take it to Santa Fe, but our room only had a postage stamp table and the tent is too bit gor that.

I really like it so . . . .Maybe I'll set up the tent several times a year for a day or so if not used.
    WHen I travel with mine, I set it up on the bed.

I agree with the above, store it loosely in a dark and cool constant temperature place.

I set it up and hang it from the floor joists in the basement when not being used.

Drew Wiley

It doesn't matter if it's a film tent or camping tent. Urethane fabric coatings degrade over time and start smelling just like, yeah, the substance they first came from, urea. Then it gets sticky and starts peeling etc. The correct storage method has already been mentioned : loose in a dry cool storage environment. The mistake many of us have made is to tightly wrap such things and cram them into their original stuff bags. Remediating degraded urethane coatings is a major headache.

Nothing much to add to what has been already said.
    I treat it as a consumable, having to replace it every 5 or so years. But at least I buy the Chinese knock off at 1/3 of the Harrison price, which is just outrageous.

And yes, they work just as well and last as long. If not more.