Thread: Adaptor for Kodak AG 9x12cm to 4x5?

Adaptor for Kodak AG 9x12cm to 4x5?

So I have a Recomar 33 in great shape. It has perfect bellows and a fully working Compur shutter with Xenar 135mm. It's great but nearly unusable to me since I have to cut 4x5 film down for it in the darkroom, which then does not fit in my daylight tank and has to be tray-developed, which I am not yet set up for.

It has a double-sided combination plate- and film-holder that slides in with two grooves that receives a lip on the back of the camera-- no spring back or anything, and the GG attaches the same way, and consequently the GG must be painstakingly slid off and the film holder slid on.

I have reason to believe (manual and such) that most users used it handheld with guess focusing and a pack film back, which I have seen for sale before.

Does anyone know of any adaptor or method for using 4x5 film with this camera? From the size of the film holder (it could physically hold a sheet of 4x5 and have a little area to spare) I almost imagine someone would have made a film holder for 4x5 for the same back.

Re: Adaptor for Kodak AG 9x12cm to 4x5?

Not any more, but in the 50's or early 60's I remember an auxiliary back which converted these,and other, "film Pack" cameras to a springback. One would have to be extremely lucky to locate one today.

Not any more, but in the 50's or early 60's I remember an auxiliary back which converted these,and other, "film Pack" cameras to a springback. One would have to be extremely lucky to locate one today.
    Yes, see, that's exactly what I want. It would be such a compact and efficient little 4x5 handheld, but with the awkward, hard-to-slide holders and GG , it'd be literally impossible to use handheld without packfilm.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]201587[/ATTACH
    I have a spring back adapter made my fidelity, called Featherlite adapter for American films, however it is for 3-1/4x4-1/4 film. I have not seen one that is 4x5.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FFBC4CC5-84BC-4183-ADFA-58401C7E5785.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by DMS206 View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]201587[/ATTACH
    I have a spring back adapter made my fidelity, called Featherlite adapter for American films, however it is for 3-1/4x4-1/4 film. I have not seen one that is 4x5.
    Can you cut 120 into 3 1/4 X 4 1 / 4? If so that might be of use...

Quote Originally Posted by RLangham View Post
    Can you cut 120 into 3 1/4 X 4 1 / 4? If so that might be of use...
    You would have to cut 4x5 film down for that, however you could look for a 120 roll film adapter for these cameras, there Are usually some offered on the auction site.

Quote Originally Posted by DMS206 View Post
    You would have to cut 4x5 film down for that, however you could look for a 120 roll film adapter for these cameras, there Are usually some offered on the auction site.
    Yeah, I was being dumb for a second. 120 has a typical frame height of 2 1/4, not 3 1/4".

I also have a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 spring back for my Zeiss camera. I don't see how a 4x5 back would fit easily. Maybe an extended back like is used on 4x5 cameras to covert to 5x7. Or something that uses 4x5 film but the camera produces 9x12cm images on the film. You do know that you can buy 9x12cm film. That's what I use in these types of cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    I also have a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 spring back for my Zeiss camera. I don't see how a 4x5 back would fit easily. Maybe an extended back like is used on 4x5 cameras to covert to 5x7. Or something that uses 4x5 film but the camera produces 9x12cm images on the film. You do know that you can buy 9x12cm film. That's what I use in these types of cameras.
    Yeah, I mean producing a 9x12 image on 4x5, since the film gate on the normal holder is narrower than a 4x5 sheet, but somewhat longer (to accommodate the springloaded clips that hold either a plate or the included matching film sheaths.

Honestly, I should probably buy some 9x12 at some point, but it's not even that it's hard to cut 4x5 down, it's that I like the convenience of developing in my daylight tank, which is a chinese knockoff of the Paterson system, with a reel that only accommodates two sizes: 2 4x5's or one 4x10 sheet.

Does anyone know about a 120 back specifically for this kind of holder mount?