Thread: Linhof 240mm Tele-Xenar Reviews

Linhof 240mm Tele-Xenar Reviews

I just acquired a very nice 240mm Tele-Xenar ( Linhof). Any opinions on this lens? I will be using on my 4x5 Pacemaker Graphic. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Linhof.jpg  

Re: Linhof 240mm Tele-Xenar Reviews

Jimbo, you have the lens and you know what you like and don't like. None of us has your lens and none of us knows your preferences. Ask the lens whether it pleases you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Jimbo, you have the lens and you know what you like and don't like. None of us has your lens and none of us knows your preferences. Ask the lens whether it pleases you.
    You are right. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this lens. Before I can shoot, I have to send to Flutot's for a shutter repair! Later........

Only listing of this lens that I can find is in my 1961 Burke & James catalog. The catalog lists its coverage for the 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" format.

Greg, you may have made a lookup error, or perhaps the catalog is mistaken. I just looked at the 1956 Schneider tele lenses brochure. It recommends the 240/5.5 for 90 x 120 mm, the metric equivalent of 4x5 inches. The VM agrees with this.

FYI, the list has a link to the archived Schneider-Kreuznach brochures. Use the list early and often.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Greg, you may have made a lookup error, or perhaps the catalog is mistaken. I just looked at the 1956 Schneider tele lenses brochure. It recommends the 240/5.5 for 90 x 120 mm, the metric equivalent of 4x5 inches. The VM agrees with this.

FYI, the list has a link to the archived Schneider-Kreuznach brochures. Use the list early and often.
    Catalog listing most probably mistaken... For the lenses that I have and are listed in circa 1950s and 1960s B&J catalogs, many a time they were listed with having less or more coverage than I experienced in testing the lenses. Portrait lenses seemed to be the worst offenders. Prices back then always blow me away... 150mm f/2.8 Xenotar in a Compur - $349.50, 12" Golden Dagor in a self-cocking shutter - $295.00.... even with converting those dollars to today's dollars.

From what I found on line, the image circle should be 252mm. Why is the info on this lens so scarce?

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWalker View Post
    From what I found on line, the image circle should be 252mm. Why is the info on this lens so scarce?
    Jimbo, when you refer to something found on line, please include a link to it. Share. By the way, a 240 mm telephoto lens that covers 252 mm is quite a rare and wonderful thing. Schneider sold the 240 Tele-Xenar for 4x5, not 5x7, and that should be a strong hint that it won't cover 210 mm, the minimum needed for 5x7.

Info on Schneider lenses and the 240 Tele-Xenar isn't that scarce. I'm not sure you know where to look for it. Random googling around isn't the best way.

largeformatphotography.info has FAQs and articles. Get to them by clicking on the LF Home Page button at the upper left of this page. When you want informaton, consult them. In addition the site has a somewhat harder to find set of links to information that may be of interest to LF photographers. The first post in this https://www.largeformatphotography.i...mainly)-lenses discussion has a link to it. Download it. Its index, a set of nested bookmarks, doesn't work in on-line pdf readers.

One of the items in the list describes A Lens Collector's Vade Mecum and tells where to order it. The VM has its problems, but get it anyway.

Thanks. You are right. I should be more careful. I AM random Googling for my info. At least from your response, I know it should cover 4x5.