Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: B&W digital workflow....what's yours?

Re: B&W digital workflow....what's yours?

We have a lot going on in this thread!!!

Great info. Few take awys....

When shooting my negatives, best to get the in-camera WB set to match the light box and negative. I originally was not all that worried about the WB as shooting in RAW meant I could just fix it later, but, still it makes sense to get it closer in-camera...

Clone is good but Healing might be better.

Mark is not a simpleton

I have WAY too much to learn!! Must go slow and reduce the number of variables.....One of my objectives in getting back into film was to essentially relearn photography all over again. Digital had made be dumber. What is SO COOL about film today is that you get to combine the old school with a modern digital post process. Very cool.

Thanks all!

Adam

Adam,

You know all the answers

Yep! I know there's a tendency to do a lot of scanning. It's exciting! You want to see what you got, but you might want to slow down. Scan one frame. Take it all the way through to your end result. What gave you difficulty? How could your result be improved? Look at your workflow and come up with some changes that might help. Now use that info to do another scan. Again, take it to completion. Evaluate and adjust. Otherwise you might only find out that you could've made better scans only after having made a lot of scans, and now you have to redo them. This isn't just about scanner settings. It's about the whole process, from exposure, through processing, to prepping the negative for the scanner, to aligning the scanner and masking off the negative......Look for deficiencies in practice and come up with a plan to make improvements. Too much technical musing without practical experience will slow mastery down, sometimes significantly.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

"Using the healing brush near an edge is usually not a problem. Simply sample a source on the edge. Use the preview to align the area to be healed, and boom, it's done."

There is no sampling with the Spot Healing Brush. It's a self sampling tool which is why there is often a problem close to an edge where it picks up the edge and considers that part of what gets blended. You even get an error message (with the option to turn off in the future) the first time you try to use the Option Key with it to try and sample as you would using the clone tool.

I use the healing brush not the spot healing brush. I guarantee that you can pick your sample point with the healing brush. I use the older healing brush algorithym: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb...ing-brush.html

I don't use the spot healing brush for anything.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I use the healing brush not the spot healing brush. I guarantee that you can pick your sample point with the healing brush. I use the older healing brush algorithym: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb...ing-brush.html

I don't use the spot healing brush for anything.
    Same here. Healing brush is magic. I can get 99.9% of what I need with that tool. The other .1% clone tool.

As for linear vs non-linear there is a huge difference. If there wasn't then astrophotographers and astronomers would bother with it. And they capture black and white images thru various filters. I know because I am an astrophotographer as well. And you can do things with linear you can't do otherwise.

But as said before, what works best for someone is the method to use. The end result is all that matters.

Geez. I have not used the regular healing brush since the Spot Healing brush was introduced, so yes, you can sample with the regular healing brush, but why would you want to in most cases. The spot healing brush self samples and when you've got a lot of shit to take care of, as in the case of a swimming pool I photographed a few weeks ago, you simply wouldn't want the extra step of option-clicking. In addition, the Spot Healing brush is literally magical when, say, healing up to a solid contrasting line in your image, where in almost all cases, it respects the line and heals right over it. The regular Healing Brush just makes mush in those circumstances. Why make more work for yourself than you need. Try and Spot Healing and I'll wager you will rarely go back.

As far as a linear vs gamma corrected file is concerned, there are certain filtering and blending operations best done in a linear gamma space and that might well apply to astro photography, but this thread has been primarily about scanning normal black and white negs and for that, there's no advantage to linear as you're going to have to either convert to a gamma correct space or apply an equivalent curve just in order to see your image the way you intend to.

The healing brush is better than the spot healing brush mainly because you can control the texture. This is very important when retouching a face, for instance. You want the replacement texture to be just right. That's why high end retouchers, such a Pratik Naik, recommend it. The healing brush is very easy to use, and it doesn't have a problem with edges except in very rare circumstances. But as always, if something is working for you, then there's not a good reason to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    But as always, if something is working for you, then there's not a good reason to change.
    Agree with you 100% To each its own.