Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Website

Re: New Website

Firs, I'm using a laptop with 14" screen, with browser in full screen mode, zoom level at 90%, so that impacts my comments. But I don't think that's too restrictive from what many/most will be using to view your website.

So, at the risk of nitpicking :

• The text on the landing page is too large. Requires too much scrolling (at least on my laptop). I'd rather it be to the right of the image so that I don't have to scroll past the image while reading it.
    • Same complaint about the landing page for "Portfolios". Make them 2 across instead of 2 across.
    • On the same theme, many of the images in the portfolio won't "fit" on my screen.

Damn fine images though.

Thank you all for the comments on refining the site and for the kind words about the images. I am far from adept at building websites (this is my first) and will continue to refine the site as I gain knowledge and skill. Your thoughts about better navigation and organization are very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your images are great and I like clean simplicity for a portfolio site vs blog. The website needs some tweaking. I am on a wide screen 27" mac and have to scroll to see the bottom of the single images, there is too much white space at top. You seem to have some responsive design scaling the page but it may need a bit more fine tuning. Inside portfolios, the left and right navigation did not jump out at me, so I first thought you only had one image per portfolio. Make the image part of the navigation when clicked or make the navigation more obvious. Add some kind of counter or indicator that the user can see how many images there are in the portfolio or jump to a particular image. 1 2 3 4 5...20 would indicate the user is on image 3 of 20.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Impressive set of different images. The website was easy to navigate, but the rather plain-Jack/Jill web design rather detracted, rather than enhanced, the quality of the images IMHO. And I would have liked more of the striking images of the "People" category. They were so much more telling and evocative than the usual "street" photos one usually finds (and I say this as one who usually prefers landscapes and abstracts). I look forward to the next iteration (and an "About" section?).

Thank you, David. I should do more street photos. I agree about the look of the site - just need more hours in the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk