Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I can't get my 4x5 back from the repair guy

Foamer

Re: I can't get my 4x5 back from the repair guy

I once had to drive to the place and got it back in person. Made a vacation trip out of it.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

small claims court is your best recource.... you can call your local court n they can assist you.
    hey get on judge judy n you will get an all expense paid vacation besides.

but....

i hope the guy didnt fall into bad health and cant respond.

good luck.

I have had amazing results these days after I mentioned to the business owners in question that I will be sure to write up a detailed online review about my experience working with the business... Works like a charm!!! Night and day difference... And remind him you can't erase the internet... ;-)

Steve K

Before you head to court, etc. consider it might simply be he messed up, can't fix it, and doesn't know/want to address this. So he's hiding from you. And likely his own shortcomings.

If that is the situation (often it is) the way forward is to let the guy off the hook. Tell him you just want the camera back unfixed, no harm and no foul. Let him know its all ok, you just want it back - and then just go there to pick it up.

It does require a bit of gyration on your part (parking the upset), but its a lot less hassle than going official.

Quote Originally Posted by GG12 View Post
    Before you head to court, etc. consider it might simply be he messed up, can't fix it, and doesn't know/want to address this. So he's hiding from you. And likely his own shortcomings.

If that is the situation (often it is) the way forward is to let the guy off the hook. Tell him you just want the camera back unfixed, no harm and no foul. Let him know its all ok, you just want it back - and then just go there to pick it up.

It does require a bit of gyration on your part (parking the upset), but its a lot less hassle than going official.
    excelent advice!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

If I were to even consider that option, I’d want my money back too.

Quote Originally Posted by shannonstoney View Post
    I have never used small claims court. If the other party is in another state, it seems that you have to file the claim in their state. Does that mean you have to appear in court in their state? This seems unfair to customers in other states: it would make it so easy for mail-order businesses to screw over people in other states. Surely there's some remedy for cases like this when the business is in one state and the customer is in another state.
    If you sue in small claims court in another state, you're generally required to appear as the plaintiff. If the respondent appears and you don't, it's likely that the case would be dismissed.
    Best,
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by pendennis View Post
    If you sue in small claims court in another state, you're generally required to appear as the plaintiff. If the respondent appears and you don't, it's likely that the case would be dismissed.
    Suing in small claims is one thing. Collecting is another! I won in small class against a large parking lot by EWR that crushed my front fender on a new VW CC wit less then 200mi on it. They never appeared in court. Won a default judgement. Paid the sheriff’s fee and he never served the papers because “he couldn’t find the other, directly across from EWR!

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    If I were to even consider that option, I’d want my money back too.

Sometimes you just have to cut your loses. Small claims court would likely involve traveling to his state, and judgments can be hard to collect. Cut your loss and just get the thing back.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

BBB is a scam. My business had a complaint filed with them. Long story but we were in the right he was an idiot. I’m not a member of the BBB. They called and literally tried to extort money from me to make it go away. I thought it was a phone scam. Looked us up on the BBB website and there was the complaint. Called the BBB to tell them there was a scam going on. Nope. That was how they did business. Small claims court is a joke too. Two cases 6 years ago. Won them both. Never got the money. Both losers run the other way when they see me in the store. Watching them scoot away like frightened children is my only positive.

If it is possible show up on the guy’s door step unannounced. Otherwise try to get a dialogue going. I’ve learned that patience and communication pays off.