Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your homage to another photographer (any format)

Re: Post your homage to another photographer (any format)

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Wrong! Josef Sudek never photographed dead leaves in a glass of stagnate, putrefied water. Most, if not all, of his portraits that I have seen are of vibrant floral arrangements in vessels of clear, clean water.
    There's no "wrong" here. It's not necessary for Paul's work to replicate every aspect of Sudek's work, or any particular aspect of Sudek's work, in order for Paul to feel that he has been influenced by Sudek, or for others to see echoes of Sudek in it.

Let's see if we can take this as an opportunity to think about influences and relationships that we may not have recognized before, rather than looking for reasons to dismiss others' perceptions out of hand.

Paul: it's beautiful, thanks for sharing and for giving us an interesting proposition to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    Homage to Frederick H. Evans:

Attachment 201520
    This is certainly reminiscent of the famous Evans photograph of the steps but with your own composition, lighting, atmosphere, etc.

Pretty hip actually ! Some people might feel intimidated to approach this subject.

Who wrote Variations on a Theme of Paganini: Brahms ?

Who wrote Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini: Rachmaninoff ?

Last time we spoke, Paganini told me he was flattered

Perhaps this will be a little easier to identify.

Ken, your take on an "equivalent", perhaps? I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    There's no "wrong" here. It's not necessary for Paul's work to replicate every aspect of Sudek's work, or any particular aspect of Sudek's work, in order for Paul to feel that he has been influenced by Sudek, or for others to see echoes of Sudek in it.

Let's see if we can take this as an opportunity to think about influences and relationships that we may not have recognized before, rather than looking for reasons to dismiss others' perceptions out of hand.

Paul: it's beautiful, thanks for sharing and for giving us an interesting proposition to ponder.

If there is any wrong it is erroneous suppositions based on limitations of personal knowledge.

Sudek did indeed make quite a number of images of still life portraits of leaves in water, bread, flower in water, etc. looking through windows, often almost exactly as depicted in the image posted here by Paul.

See for example Plate #51, "Glass and Rose", a 27.3 by 20.6 cm carbro print, in the book Josef Sudek: Sixty Pigment Prints From the Artist's Estate, published 1998 in New York by Salander-O'Reilly Galleries.

And do a quick search for Sudek and Last Rose and you should see a print very similar to the one Paul posted.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post

And do a quick search for Sudek and Last Rose and you should see a print very similar to the one Paul posted.

Sandy
    Thanks for the idea. I looked at Last Rose, and then a bunch of others. I have not spent as much time as I should looking at Sudek's work! So many lovely and inspiring images. -Rob

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

https://www.artsy.net/artwork/josef-...ss-with-a-rose

Here's another version: https://www.artnet.com/auctions/arti.../rose-in-glass

Does that look like dead rose and leaves in stagnant water to you?

Thomas

I’m not sure I would call these photos an homage, exactly- they’re only done with a phone camera and my attention was really not on the photos themselves- but the spirit is there so I post.

I had the pleasure of spending the last week in Paris with my wife. Neither of us had been there before and as a way to loosely structure some exploring around the city, I found the locations of a few of Eugene Atget’s photos.

These two were particularly interesting to me. One because of similarity and one because of difference:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

OK, take your guesses:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dune_patterns.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	201540

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

For the past week or so I have been searching through my collection of 6x7 slides for a certain image that I shot early one morning in Kern County. The image popped vividly in my mind during a time when I was reading-up on Watkins work in Kern County during the late 1880's. I haven't yet located that slide but a couple of days ago this slide made its appearance:

Although in color tt immediately struck me as being a Watkins style photo. But when I took this I had never heard of Carleton Watkins much less had seen his photos of vineyards. So it can't be maintained that it was taken in homage to Watkins but rather that Watkins and I share to same “vision.” Vision is not homage.

Thomas