Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! I can't open my new B&W King 4x5 tank...

Re: Help! I can't open my new B&W King 4x5 tank...

freeze it.

that will shrink the metal.

Matt Alexander

Even better, Fill it with water and freeze it. The water will expand as it freezes and should force it apart.
    Even monkeys fall from trees -- Japanese proverb

Try to blow air in through the open cap? (using a vacuum in reverse or a foot pump, with a hose adapted to the cap opening) I think there is a Jobo pump for opening their tanks, when hard to break the seal.

Alternatively, fill it half full of water and shake it, so the water weight pushes on the lid from inside.

I don't think heat or cold is going to have much effect, because the tank and lid are the same material and in good thermal contact.

Go to an auto supply store and look for what they might have in the way of oil filter removers. Get two, one for the can and one for the lid. It might work!

Maybe try Aero-kroil?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Maybe try Aero-kroil?
    And give it overnight.

Thanks; that idea made sense. The way I did it was I took a slim punch and did some careful taps with a light hammer. That did the job. I'd hesitated to try anything like that b/c I didn't want to damage the tank. This worked out, with no scratches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B&WKing8.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	201524Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B&WKing7.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	201523

Inside, I found some packing material...
    I'm surely the person who melted it all but, from the beginning, that was probably what was caught between the cap and the main body of the tank.

Name:	B&WKing9.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	201525Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B&WKing10.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	201526

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Did you try using a flat-blade screwdriver or some means to gently pry around between the bottom of the lid and the lip on the tank?

A bit of cleanup, and as good as new. All moves freely, the cap fits to the body with the expected amount of friction. No distortion, after all the abuse and no scratches. So I have to say, a tough and very durable product.
    I sort of feel like I put this tank through a Top Gear "you can't kill this" episode.
    I was kidding about the sledgehammer, but I did think about ether. You know; then throw a match at it...

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Name:	B&WKing11.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	201527

I just received a nice, kind, reply from Mr. Liu. Very helpful, entirely pro:

"I have received your letter.B&W KING problem solved?
    B&W KING's lid (B) tank body (C) design is buckle structure, no thread.Because of the need to reduce the dripping water leakage, the processing between (b-c) is more rigorous.
    In order to avoid transport impact, the development tank has a plastic bubble packaging to isolate the film mounting frame.
    The problem you have, I think, is probably a problem with the plastic packaging inside the development tank, squeezed between (b-c).
    As long as the wood block or plastic (non-metal), along the direction of (D) gently tapping, can be solved.
    I hope you can solve the problem easily.
    I'm a retired large format photographer.Now I am 66 years old. Every product of B&W KING is adjusted, processed and inspected by me to ensure smooth operation and no defects.I was also the first user of B&W KING.
    Any large-format photographer has a strict selection of photographic supplies.B&W KING is a new brand, a new product, and it has been recognized and used by large format photographers in many countries.I hope you will like B&W KING and we will become good friends.
    B&W KING is responsible for every product. B&W KING is responsible for every large format photographer. That's my commitment.
    Because I don't know English, this is a computer translation, there may be a mistake, please understand
    Best wishes."
    Liu Junjie

Name:	B&WKing12.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	201528

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Té View Post
    A bit of cleanup, and as good as new. All moves freely, the cap fits to the body with the expected amount of friction. No distortion, after all the abuse and no scratches. So I have to say, a tough and very durable product.
    I sort of feel like I put this tank through a Top Gear "you can't kill this" episode.
    I was kidding about the sledgehammer, but I did think about ether. You know; then throw a match at it...

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Name:	B&WKing11.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	201527

Dear Mike Té

When I heard from you, I quickly went to this forum and saw the various approaches you've taken since you met B&W KING.Be moved by your persistence and seriousness.
    A small problem with the shipping packaging of B&W KING has brought you so much trouble.As the product representative of B&W KING, I apologize to you.
    In order to eliminate the regret brought to you, I will send you the new B&W KING 4x5 Tank for free, and the freight and transportation costs will be borne by all B&W KING.Please send the receiving address, telephone number and other information to my email.
    B&W KING is responsible for every product, and B&W KING is responsible for every big-frame photographer, and that's a promise I should keep.
    I would also like to thank the photographers from various countries for their attention and support to B&W KING.
    If any photographers have any problems with B&W KING, please feedback to me in time, and I will solve them in time.
    Because I don't know English, this is a computer translation, there may be a mistake, please understand
    Best wishes.

https://www.bw-king.com