Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: 14X17 Fire Studio

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Suwanee, GA
    Posts
    590

    Re: 14X17 Fire Studio

    I have associated Fire Studio with Jim Fitzgerald for some reason - may not be true. Here is his 14x17 build back in 2018 but the ebay one had different hardware. https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ighlight=14x17. I don't suppose Jim could do such fine carbon work with flimsy cameras.
    Adventure is worthwhile in itself. ... Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done. -- Amelia Earhart
    http://www.searing.photography

  2. #12
    LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Washington
    Posts
    3,739

    Re: 14X17 Fire Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    I have associated Fire Studio with Jim Fitzgerald for some reason - may not be true. Here is his 14x17 build back in 2018 but the ebay one had different hardware. https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ighlight=14x17. I don't suppose Jim could do such fine carbon work with flimsy cameras.
    Please don't associate me with this company. If I was ever too start a company and build cameras for photographers it would be Carbon Art Photography.

  3. #13
    Peter De Smidt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Fond du Lac, WI, USA
    Posts
    7,518

    Re: 14X17 Fire Studio

    Just from watching Jim's builds and looking at the Fire Studio holder, I knew he couldn't be behind it.
    May tomorrow be a better day.

  4. #14
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,749

    Re: 14X17 Fire Studio

    Exactly, his builds are very sturdy, even his last lightweight version.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Just from watching Jim's builds and looking at the Fire Studio holder, I knew he couldn't be behind it.
    sin eater

  5. #15
    LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Washington
    Posts
    3,739

    Re: 14X17 Fire Studio

    Thanks guys. My big 14x17 to 20x24 is for sale but it is a beast a sturdy one at that. My lightweight 21 pound 14x17 is a dream to use and is solid as well. I've always taken my time and tried to build them right and with the finest quality wood and materials I can afford. After all they are all for me!!

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Suwanee, GA
    Posts
    590

    Re: 14X17 Fire Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Please don't associate me with this company. If I was ever too start a company and build cameras for photographers it would be Carbon Art Photography.
    I meant no offense Jim, apologies. I knew you were selling a 14x17 camera a while back and this one showed up about the same time in the same general geographical area. So I mistakenly merged the two.
    Adventure is worthwhile in itself. ... Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done. -- Amelia Earhart
    http://www.searing.photography

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire UK
    Posts
    1,087

    Re: 14X17 Fire Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    I meant no offense Jim, apologies. I knew you were selling a 14x17 camera a while back and this one showed up about the same time in the same general geographical area. So I mistakenly merged the two.
    Yes, easily done and it had occurred to me as well - two ULF builders in Washington State etc etc but any coincidence pretty well paled quickly, the quality is the difference and it's not hard to see which 'manufacturer' stands out.......................

    regards to all and well done Jim

    Andrew

  8. #18
    LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Washington
    Posts
    3,739

    Re: 14X17 Fire Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    I meant no offense Jim, apologies. I knew you were selling a 14x17 camera a while back and this one showed up about the same time in the same general geographical area. So I mistakenly merged the two.
    Not a problem at all. I just wanted to clear up any confusion.

  9. #19
    anerdoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    NS
    Posts
    3

    Re: 14X17 Fire Studio

    I have purchase an 11x14 from the seller. I can't afford a new state of the art, anf most used cameras(if you could find one) were more much than what I paid. So I got a lightweight camera with new bellows and rear focusing. This camera would not be up to most users standards used to higher priced models like Phillips, Wisner, Chamonix, etc. My camera was definitely substandard until I upgraded the front standard with stiffer upright standards and changed a couple fasteners to secure things better. I bought a ligjt tight holder as well that needed modifications but I like it for a third of the cost of other used holders.

    If you can't quite swallow the idea that some tinkering is required on a new camera then stay away. But if you want a camera that is less than a quarter the cost of a new one and have time it may be of some use.

    I hope this is helpful


    Andrew

  10. #20
    ghostcount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Condado de la Naranja, CA
    Posts
    651

    Re: 14X17 Fire Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by anerdoo View Post
    ...I bought a ligjt tight holder as well that needed modifications but I like it for a third of the cost of other used holders.
    Curious, what did you have to do on those holders.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Similar Threads

  1. Nor Cal, So Cal, Fire and smoke!
    By John Kasaian in forum Location & Travel
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 18-Oct-2017, 11:39
  2. 14x17 back for Studio 8A
    By imagedowser in forum LF DIY (Do It Yourself)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7-Nov-2012, 07:00
  3. Fire
    By rpalm in forum Image Sharing (LF) & Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 8-Jul-2012, 10:06

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •