Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 14X17 Fire Studio

Re: 14X17 Fire Studio

I have associated Fire Studio with Jim Fitzgerald for some reason - may not be true. Here is his 14x17 build back in 2018 but the ebay one had different hardware. https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ighlight=14x17. I don't suppose Jim could do such fine carbon work with flimsy cameras.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    I have associated Fire Studio with Jim Fitzgerald for some reason - may not be true. Here is his 14x17 build back in 2018 but the ebay one had different hardware. https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ighlight=14x17. I don't suppose Jim could do such fine carbon work with flimsy cameras.
    Please don't associate me with this company. If I was ever too start a company and build cameras for photographers it would be Carbon Art Photography.

Just from watching Jim's builds and looking at the Fire Studio holder, I knew he couldn't be behind it.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Exactly, his builds are very sturdy, even his last lightweight version.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Just from watching Jim's builds and looking at the Fire Studio holder, I knew he couldn't be behind it.
    Tin Can

Thanks guys. My big 14x17 to 20x24 is for sale but it is a beast a sturdy one at that. My lightweight 21 pound 14x17 is a dream to use and is solid as well. I've always taken my time and tried to build them right and with the finest quality wood and materials I can afford. After all they are all for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Please don't associate me with this company. If I was ever too start a company and build cameras for photographers it would be Carbon Art Photography.
    I meant no offense Jim, apologies. I knew you were selling a 14x17 camera a while back and this one showed up about the same time in the same general geographical area. So I mistakenly merged the two.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I meant no offense Jim, apologies. I knew you were selling a 14x17 camera a while back and this one showed up about the same time in the same general geographical area. So I mistakenly merged the two.
    Yes, easily done and it had occurred to me as well - two ULF builders in Washington State etc etc but any coincidence pretty well paled quickly, the quality is the difference and it's not hard to see which 'manufacturer' stands out.......................

regards to all and well done Jim

Andrew

Not a problem at all. I just wanted to clear up any confusion.

I have purchase an 11x14 from the seller. I can't afford a new state of the art, anf most used cameras(if you could find one) were more much than what I paid. So I got a lightweight camera with new bellows and rear focusing. This camera would not be up to most users standards used to higher priced models like Phillips, Wisner, Chamonix, etc. My camera was definitely substandard until I upgraded the front standard with stiffer upright standards and changed a couple fasteners to secure things better. I bought a ligjt tight holder as well that needed modifications but I like it for a third of the cost of other used holders.

If you can't quite swallow the idea that some tinkering is required on a new camera then stay away. But if you want a camera that is less than a quarter the cost of a new one and have time it may be of some use.

I hope this is helpful

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by anerdoo View Post
    ...I bought a ligjt tight holder as well that needed modifications but I like it for a third of the cost of other used holders.
    Curious, what did you have to do on those holders.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy