Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: explain like I'm 5......... 90mm lenses

Drew Wiley

Re: explain like I'm 5......... 90mm lenses

Jeff, I'm just getting back to this thread and missed your question earlier. For the 90/4.5 Nikkor, the 82mm Schneider no. IV CF works perfectly @ 1.5 X added exposure.

If you have trouble focusing with an f-8 lens you need to see an ophthalmologist, not an optometrist. Cataracts reduce the amount of light focused through the lens onto the retina. Removal is simple and quick. The resulting change in vision can be astounding!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Jeff, I'm just getting back to this thread and missed your question earlier. For the 90/4.5 Nikkor, the 82mm Schneider no. IV CF works perfectly @ 1.5 X added exposure.
    Drew Is there an issue with adding other filters with the CF relating to it's size or threads to mount the other filters? I read somewhere that could be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Drew Is there an issue with adding other filters with the CF relating to it's size or threads to mount the other filters? I read somewhere that could be a problem.
    You can add additional filters to the front of the cf as long as they have a large enough front rim so they don’t vignette. You do not add them between the lens and the cf.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You can add additional filters to the front of the cf as long as they have a large enough front rim so they don’t vignette. You do not add them between the lens and the cf.
    So if let's say you're shooting a 90mm that has a filter size of 82mm and shoot with a CF, what filter type would you have to buy to work right to avoid vignetting? What size will they have to be? Ditto with 90mm lens with CF with a filter size of 68mm. There reason I;m asking is because I'm in the market for a 90mm or 75mm lens for 4x5 (with either 67mm or 82mm filter size) and I don't want to wind up having 2 or 3 sets of filters. Currently I'm using a set of 77mm filters with an adapter using them on a 150mm Schneider with a 67mm filter size. But of course, the 150mm does not need a CF. So it's the 90mm and 75mm lenses that are questioned when using the CF?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Pick a lens and go shoot! Don't get bogged down with paralysis by analysis!
    This is excellent advice.

Roger

Alan, short answer, read this: http://www.galerie-photo.com/center-...at-lenses.html. Your 77 mm filters are too small for most CFs for 75 and 90 mm lenses, but it depends on the lens. Read the article.

Oh, and by the way, there's a link to the article in the list. Consult the list early and often.

Drew Wiley

Alan, I've never had a vignetting issue with any added 82mm contrast or color correction filter, having both carefully tested for this and after quite a bit of practical usage. The oversized nature of the CF itself seems to be engineered with this in mind. I use any supplementary 82mm filters BETWEEN the CF and lens itself. (Schneider IV on a Nikkor 90/3.5). But with the originally intended application of this same center filter on a Super Angulon 120, the bulge of the front element actually requires a thin 82mm shim ring or threaded extension to prevent the lens and CF rubbing together. No problem with the Nikkor 90, however. But I rarely use this lens anymore and would be willing to sell both it and the CF together at a very fair price, but haven't taken the time to list them yet. Both are in mint condition. PM me if you're interested.

Jeffery Dale Welker

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    No worries on the timing Drew. They are like finding hens teeth, so I'll just need to be patient. One will show up sooner or later.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison