Thread: Broken Ground Glass!!! Need help!!!!

Broken Ground Glass!!! Need help!!!!

Hi all,

I did something stupid. Somehow I broke my ground glass. I was removing the bellows from the rear standard, and poof. The ground glass fell onto the new flooring (carpet two weeks ago).

The camera is a Cambo monorail. I. Pretty sure it's the SC model. It's as basic as you can get.

Two things....
    (1) Can anyone suggest a source for a replacement GG that will fit? It's a 4x5. I see a lot on eBay, but I'm not sure what I'm really looking at. I think i simply need a new piece of glass.

(2) Should the GG be secured in place with a clip or something? Do they normally just sit between the two metal sections of the rear standard?

Help!!!!

Thanks all,

Adam

Re: Broken Ground Glass!!! Need help!!!!

You can get a replacement ground glass on eBay - Yanke and others. Barry Young on this forum also makes replacement screens.
    The screen is held by clips on both ends of the long side: https://i.postimg.cc/C1DSntpS/Cambo5...ng-Back-01.jpg

Kumar

Foamer

The GG is held in place by two clips. Those are held in place by a phillips screw. The camera is a Cambo 45NX.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cambo1a.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Well I can see my problem now. I have those clips too, BUT, on one side, the clips that are used for compression to keep the class locked are riding too high (by the thickness of the glass). So, all they were doing was holding it in place flat. But as soon as I moved it, there was not enough compression force to keep it from falling out.

I have a sinar 4x5 groundglass for sale in the classifieds. If you PM me (so I remember) I can send you it’s measurements so you could see if it would fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Carefully measure to GG opening before buying. Make sure you get one that will fit correctly. I did the same many years ago (hardwood floor, though).

You can also make your own ground glass fairly easily. May not be as good as the professionally made ones, but handy in a pinch. And you'll have a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    You can also make your own ground glass fairly easily. May not be as good as the professionally made ones, but handy in a pinch. And you'll have a spare.
    I actually prefer the groundglasses I make for my cameras to the commercial ones I have used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Hi all.

UPDATE:

I ordered a replacement ground glass and it just arrived. So here's the deal....

I went with a 2-in-1 fresnel lens and GG. Turns out there's no glass involved with this purchase!! It's all plastic. The Fresnel lens is one piece and the plastic glass is another. I was not expecting that, but I pretty much know nothing... ignorance is pretty bliss isn't it!!

Alright, after that bit of shock I loaded it up. The Fresnel lens didn't fit!! Too wide by a touch, but a little back and forth on some wet 400 grit did the trick.

Results: holy crap!!! The image on the "GG" is so much brighter that I was used to seeing. In fact, at f5.6 with a 150, you don't even need the dark cloth! At f32 is very easy to check focus. So I'm pretty pleased with my screw up.

I see exactly why the old GG fell out too and I got that fixed as well.