Quote Originally Posted by BennoLF View Post
It's a real brick. It's 4lb 3oz with GG, the movements are all heavy and rather finicky, the rail extensions don't lock easily, and I wouldn't trust the rear standard anything but locked off. I'm looking into improving the wingnuts on the rear standard so I can use it, but I might not get very far.
Most anything but this(as long as is has real movements) would be an upgrade.
Four 1/4 pounds is less than I thought it would weigh. Some of the folding 4 by 5's weigh more than this (mine weighs 6.5, with lens (135 mm Kodak WF Ektar), no rangefinder, and a quick-connect plate for the tripod.

The pack I carry, including 5 days of food, the 6.5 -pound camera, two other lenses, several film holders, tripod, camping gear, foul weather clothes, a day pack to carry stuff away from base camp, dark cloth, and other sundry items weighs about 52 pounds. That's with an empty water bottle. The backpack is a heavy clunker Lowe Expedition, and it weighs about 7 pounds empty. Another five days of food would be another ten pounds or so.

Several people on LFPF say they carry 70 to 80 pound packs. I'd have to toss in a cast iron dutch oven to get my pack weight that high. What are people carrying so that their packs are so heavy?