Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stainless Steel Sink & Oxidation / Rust?

Drew Wiley

Re: Stainless Steel Sink & Oxidation / Rust?

Steel wool? Why not something modern instead, that doesn't leave behind fragments susceptible to rust, like Scotchbrite pads? They come in quite a range, and are even available in disc fashion for power buffers and sanders. Prior to synthetic pads, bronze wool was commonly used for marine applications, though pricey.

I had a 316 stainless sink that had similar stains on the corners. It turns out that the grinding and finishing wheels used to clean up the welds had steel (non-stainless) in them and impregnated the sink. I would clean it with various rust removal products over the years and finally just painted the corner with the problem using a silver rust-oleum paint. It didn't match perfectly but solved the problem and since it was just about a 1/2" wide section, I just masked it and it looked ok.

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by bmikiten View Post
    I had a 316 stainless sink that had similar stains on the corners. It turns out that the grinding and finishing wheels used to clean up the welds had steel (non-stainless) in them and impregnated the sink. I would clean it with various rust removal products over the years and finally just painted the corner with the problem using a silver rust-oleum paint. It didn't match perfectly but solved the problem and since it was just about a 1/2" wide section, I just masked it and it looked ok.
    It may be rusting away under the paint. Cover-up is never the best solution.
    Keith Pitman

Drew Wiley

No nation on earth would function without cover-ups. Yep, I've got one of those myself - a custom sized 316 stainless tray I bought used, but that had the wrong kind of corner solder or weld. So I scoured off the corner corrosion and applied gray marine epoxy putty over that portion. Has held up well ever since.

It can be a reasonable solution IF the rust is stopped. Oxidation occurs with oxygen.

Brian