Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The greatest fashion photographer you’ve never heard of

Re: The greatest fashion photographer you’ve never heard of

Aha! I went to the Leopold Museum in Vienna a couple summers ago and happened to see this exhibition there. It's really good. I was a little familiar with the artistic ferment of early 20th century Vienna and the famous painters of that period, but didn't know anything about Dora Kallmus, so it was a welcome surprise.

The exhibition writeup mentions her photos of the designer Emilie Flöge wearing her avant garde dresses. Flöge was a companion/friend of Gustav Klimt, and the big Klimt exhibition that was also there in 2018 showed a number of contemporary photos of Flöge and Klimt wearing such costumes, acting out skits, and the like. (To my surprise, Klimt seems to have been good company; while Egon Schiele may have lived down to the tortured-Expressionist image.)

Related to what Bill said, it was interesting to me how much of the famed Viennese avant-garde arts of the turn of the century (including the crafts and applied arts, etc) was sponsored by the patronage of the Viennese Jewish upper middle class.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    +1; thanks, Darlene and Bill.
    Your welcome Ari!

Quote Originally Posted by reddesert View Post
    Aha! I went to the Leopold Museum in Vienna a couple summers ago and happened to see this exhibition there. It's really good. I was a little familiar with the artistic ferment of early 20th century Vienna and the famous painters of that period, but didn't know anything about Dora Kallmus, so it was a welcome surprise.

The exhibition writeup mentions her photos of the designer Emilie Flöge wearing her avant garde dresses. Flöge was a companion/friend of Gustav Klimt, and the big Klimt exhibition that was also there in 2018 showed a number of contemporary photos of Flöge and Klimt wearing such costumes, acting out skits, and the like. (To my surprise, Klimt seems to have been good company; while Egon Schiele may have lived down to the tortured-Expressionist image.)

Related to what Bill said, it was interesting to me how much of the famed Viennese avant-garde arts of the turn of the century (including the crafts and applied arts, etc) was sponsored by the patronage of the Viennese Jewish upper middle class.
    Thank you for sharing this!

Kind regards,
    Darr

For me two women stand above all the other - Lillian Bassman and Sara Moon- these two photographers are IMO in my all time 10 favs.