Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get into ULF?

Re: How to get into ULF?

What camera do you have now? I'd dry the X ray film and see how it works for you with your existing equipment. Processing it and printing it can be challenging due to its speed, sensitivity (or lack thereof) and two-sided emulsion.

Foamer

Re: How to get into ULF? THE RIGHT WAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    I would suggest finding an inexpensive 8"x10" set up and working with it for a few months(shoot, process your own film, make prints) before considering ULF. Smaller than 8"x10" won't, in my opinion, give you enough of a handle on what you'll be dealing with by going larger. The good news: there are a lot of 8x10 cameras and lenses available very affordably.
    Good Luck.

As an 8x10 user, I agree. I started with 4x5, and it was several months and about two-three boxes of film before I started getting consistently good. I'd hate to think of what that would have cost me if shooting a bigger format.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Dpatt711 View Post
    So if I use Xray film I can do 5x7 @ $0.93 per, 14x17 @ $5.62 per incl. Processing. Is this worthwhile over actual photo film?
    It would be a great way to start, do some testing and all that sort of stuff before buying actual photo film...you might find that x-ray film can actually be photo film, too! X-ray film can usually be loaded and processed under a red safe light, which is a great way to get use to that process.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Carestream, EB/RA is a single sided , 8x10 x-ray film with notch code. Expose at EI 100, develop in normal developers diluted such as HC110 1+60 or 1+100 nder tested red safe light. $0.85 per sheet. hard to beat.
    Last edited by Jim Noel; 3-Mar-2020 at 09:46. Reason: correction

still got 14X17" Ektascan, good to cut in 1/2 too

none for sale

I practice/test with double sided X-Ray which is still available up to 14X17" and 14X36" for truly ULF

https://www.zzmedical.com/analog-x-r...-ray-film.html
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Carestream, EB/RA is a single sided , 8x10 x-ray film with notch code. Expose at EI 100, develop in normal developers diluted such as HC110 1+60 or 1+100 nder tested red safe light. $0.85 per sheet. hard to beat.
    Where do you buy it from? I can’t seem to find it unless I buy 500 sheets at ~$800 directly from carestream. Zzmedical only carries B/RA

Call ZZ on a telephone

I have been warning people X-Ray WILL become extinct

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Where do you buy it from? I can’t seem to find it unless I buy 500 sheets at ~$800 directly from carestream. Zzmedical only carries B/RA
    Tin Can

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    You have to buy 500 sheets for the single sided film. The double sided works great and is the cheaper way to go. ZZ medical has it last time I checked.

(Shrek)

How to get into ULF? Check your pockets and couch cushions to see if you have an extra $5K lying around. Otherwise I would recommend working out the kinks with 8x10 max, and only because you can still shoot for under $1/shot with X-ray film. The only way I can afford it was because I was already dealing small format photo gear as a hobby, so I was able to buy 8x10 gear at bargain prices when the opportunity arose. 10 years later I'm close to having a setup I like. I gave up ULF in very short order when I realized I would never be able to backpack the gear to shoot what I enjoy, and I wasn't prepared to switch to portraits or still life just to say I was shooting 11x14 instead of 8x10.

How to get into ULF?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Call ZZ on a telephone

I have been warning people X-Ray WILL become extinct
    I just talked to them and basically the said that at this time they do not have a source for it but are still working on it.....